100mm binocular is possible on Paragon Mount...after a mod

Moderators: Erik, Chopin
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
pollux
Post subject: 100mm binocular is possible on Paragon Mount...after a mod
Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:04 pm
atom

I managed to get a used Orion Paragon Mount for so cheap and I plan to use it with my 100mm binocular.

Since all 100mm binos are very heavy and Orion doesn't encourage the mount for that bino...

But when I got the mount I had a very serious look at the mount. The mount, structural-wise, is capable of taking some decent load.....

The problem is the weight distribution.

The mount arm is pretty much working like a lever. The bino positon is quite far away from the fulcrum while the counterweight is a lot closer. That means unless I add an extra weight on the weight side there's no way to get the whole set up in perfect balance. Since I don't want any more weight this option is OUT.

So, I broke apart the whole mount. Drill holes on the two extruded arm (6 inches off the original holes). Then put the arms back but with the mounting screws going through the new holes. Now the center of gravity is a lot lower. The bino and weight are having equal distance from the fulcrum.

I simplified the tension knobs layout. Now down to only one to avoid confusion.

[ img ]

As for the bino end. Since the weight of the 100mm bino is a lot more than 80mm and the original config can't grip such a weight. What I did was to put two rubber washers to "sandwich" the mounting block. With two rubber washers now there's enough friction to hold the bino in place without even a bit of slip.

[ img ]

The horizontal block has been greased and the panning is now silky smooth. Vertical movement is good as long as the tension is set right.

Yes the range of vertical movement is slightly decreased due to the bottom arm hitting the center post but it's not that much loss (roughly 2-3 inches max). I can get the full range back by cutting the bottom arm to make it 7 inches shorter but I don't want to do it as this means I will not be able to revert the mount back to the original state if I ever want to sell it.

I had an acid test with this modified mount earlier and seems to work pretty well :-)

[ img ]
[/img]

Profile Quote
Erik
Post subject:
Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:24 pm
Site Admin

Great modifications, Pollux! :cool:

-Erik Wilcox
Homebuilt 16" Truss Dob
8" Antares f/5 Newt
SV 80mm ED Nighthawk NG on M1 ALT/AZ
Nikon Prostaff 65mm spotter on Trekpod
Konusvue 20x80 binos/Peterson PipeMount

"Newt Gingrich is what stupid people think smart people sound like."
-The Great Paul Krugman

Evolution is both fact and theory. Creationism is neither. -Anonymous

Profile Quote
Chopin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:29 pm
Velocepedist

Location: In search of the ultimate switchbacks and single tracks

Pollux, nice mod! 100mm bino on a sturdy parallelagram mount = star party crowd pleaser. :grin:

Thanks for posting this.

I've been on the fence for a while as to whether or not I could do a P mount rigid enough to accomodate my 10 lb binos. I'm a stickler for vibration elimination, and I wonder if any P mount would make me happy. This looks like a good solution to an obvious problem. I'd love to hear about your impressions after extended use.

Jason® (Admin...and spoke-folk)
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
Veritable Imagery
Single ride personal records: Distance-76.7miles, Max Speed-50.4mph, Max sustained speed (20miles) 19.5mph
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Profile Quote
snorkler
Post subject:
Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:52 pm
quasar

I appreciate your analysis and mod, Pollux. I'll have to look at my parallelogram mount now. It's similar to the Orion Paragon.

Ah, but I was so much older then.
I'm younger than that now
Bob Dylan

[ img ]
49.6 mpg avg over 38,000 miles. 177% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 9.8 mi
Best tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg

Profile Quote
fmeireso
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:49 pm
Laser Surgeon

Chopin wrote:
Pollux, nice mod! 100mm bino on a sturdy parallelagram mount = star party crowd pleaser. :grin:

Thanks for posting this.

I've been on the fence for a while as to whether or not I could do a P mount rigid enough to accomodate my 10 lb binos. I'm a stickler for vibration elimination, and I wonder if any P mount would make me happy. This looks like a good solution to an obvious problem. I'd love to hear about your impressions after extended use.

Chopin,

What mount are you using now? I know (i believe) you have the GO SS 15x85.
I have the 22x version. they are pretty heavy. I guess , in the long run, i will need a more sturdier mount.
However , it may not be too heavy, because grab and go is important to me

Obsession 18 inch #1638
Orion Optics (UK) 8 inch

Profile Quote
Chopin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:51 am
Velocepedist

Location: In search of the ultimate switchbacks and single tracks

fmeireso wrote:
Chopin wrote:

Thanks for posting this.

Chopin,

What mount are you using now? I know (i believe) you have the GO SS 15x85.
I have the 22x version. they are pretty heavy. I guess , in the long run, i will need a more sturdier mount.
However , it may not be too heavy, because grab and go is important to me

Hey there, Fred. Yup, I have the 15x85 Garrett. What are you using for support right now? I'm happy with my current setup from a rigidity standpoint (actually I have the older models of the tripod and head, but otherwise functionally identical). I often consider selling off the 501 head and purchasing a Universal Astronomics Macrostar to bring the bino away from the center column, an making for an easier time getting underneath the eyepieces. How are you liking the 22x version? I only went with the 15x for eye relief, but secretly wanted the extra magnification.[/url]

Jason® (Admin...and spoke-folk)
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
Veritable Imagery
Single ride personal records: Distance-76.7miles, Max Speed-50.4mph, Max sustained speed (20miles) 19.5mph
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Profile Quote
fmeireso
Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:34 am
Laser Surgeon

Hi Jason

My current mount is a Manfrotto Junior 390b, rated for max 5 kg. I put it on my wooden terrastable and therefore don't have to fold out the legs completely.
It works rather well but a heavier mount would be better.

The 22x is great. I did not consider the 15x because in my skies 22x does give a darker background and is preferred over here. I don't have any issues with eyerelief. When I fold down the eyecups i still can see the entire FOV even with my eyeglasses, allthough only just.

The stars focus a bit more less pinpoint in the 22x85 then the 15x70. Biggest disadvantage is that i see more astigmatisme coming from my eyes so with this 22x85 i will use my glasses more.

And oh,happy new year to everyone here on this forum!And clear skies!

Obsession 18 inch #1638
Orion Optics (UK) 8 inch

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
Return to “Telescopes and Binoculars”
Jump to: