It is currently Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bob Royce's Website
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:59 pm 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Hi all,

I thought I would put out a link to Royce's website for any of you who don't know who he is, or have never seen his site. Bob makes both professional and amateur optics, and over the last few years has begun to develop and market telescopes as well, specifically Dall-Kirkhams and now 8" & 10" Newts.

His website is loaded with optical info, articles on theory, design, and scope types, and ATM projects that he's done. Be sure to take a look at the links on the home page for his latest endeavors. Click the "Astronomy" link for products, and be sure to scroll to the bottom of that page for the ATM articles. You have to click the pictures on this page to navigate. There are links everywhere on the site!

Having owned a Zambuto mirror for 6 years, and having a friend of mine who owned a couple Royce mirrors, I can say his Newtonian mirrors are right up there in quality with Carl's, and in fact doing a head-to-head could not see any significant difference between the two.

I have no affiliation at all with Royce, but I've spent hours just reading all the optical information, and professional opinions on his site and in some cases it did have significant impact on my personal optical decisions. Thought you guys might want to have a look.

Oh, yeah. The Stifmeister's coming back to Grand Harbor. Deck the halls. Bye-bye, Great Falls. Wipe my a$$ and lick my ba!!s It's Stifler time, baby. Whoo-hoo-hoo. Whoo-hoo-hoo. ~Steve Stifler-American Pie 2 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:09 pm 
The Blacksmith

Royce has a great and well-earned reputation for fantastic mirrors. :cool:

subvert the dominant paradigm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:16 pm 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Yes, definitely well-earned. A heck of a nice guy too - I've talked with him a couple times and emailed as well. Always very helpful.

I was lucky enough to meet and hang out with Carl Zambuto for a couple days back in 2001. A bunch of us were at Sunglow Ranch in southern AZ for the 2001 Leonid storm and some great Mag 7+ observing and he was there during that time. Another super-nice guy with a well-deserved rep.

Talking optics with either of these guys is an education to say the least!

Oh, yeah. The Stifmeister's coming back to Grand Harbor. Deck the halls. Bye-bye, Great Falls. Wipe my a$$ and lick my ba!!s It's Stifler time, baby. Whoo-hoo-hoo. Whoo-hoo-hoo. ~Steve Stifler-American Pie 2 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:46 pm 
Velocepedist

Location: In search of the ultimate switchbacks and single tracks
He lives less than 45 minutes from me...not that I know him personally. :grin:

Kerry, thanks for posting this. He is a master of simplicity and quality. I true icon in the Newtonian optics world, IMO.

Veritable Imagery
Single ride personal records: Distance-76.7miles, Max Speed-50.4mph, Max sustained speed (20miles) 19.5mph
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:42 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the link, Kerry. Nice resource!

SV 80mm ED Nighthawk NG on M1 ALT/AZ
Nikon Prostaff 65mm spotter on Trekpod
Konusvue 20x80 binos/Peterson PipeMount

"Newt Gingrich is what stupid people think smart people sound like."
-The Great Paul Krugman

Evolution is both fact and theory. Creationism is neither. -Anonymous

Post subject: Re: Bob Royce's Website
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:42 pm 
molecule

Kawx4d wrote:
Hi all,

I thought I would put out a link to Royce's website for any of you who don't know who he is, or have never seen his site. Bob makes both professional and amateur optics, and over the last few years has begun to develop and market telescopes as well, specifically Dall-Kirkhams and now 8" & 10" Newts.

His website is loaded with optical info, articles on theory, design, and scope types, and ATM projects that he's done. Be sure to take a look at the links on the home page for his latest endeavors. Click the "Astronomy" link for products, and be sure to scroll to the bottom of that page for the ATM articles. You have to click the pictures on this page to navigate. There are links everywhere on the site!

Having owned a Zambuto mirror for 6 years, and having a friend of mine who owned a couple Royce mirrors, I can say his Newtonian mirrors are right up there in quality with Carl's, and in fact doing a head-to-head could not see any significant difference between the two.

I have no affiliation at all with Royce, but I've spent hours just reading all the optical information, and professional opinions on his site and in some cases it did have significant impact on my personal optical decisions. Thought you guys might want to have a look.

Thanks Kerry. Although I correspond and speak with Bob from time to time, I'd forgotten what a wonderful resource his website is. Bob has been wanting to introduce even more new innovations to the classic Newt for some time and is now getting around to it. We hope to have an article detailing the project in a fall issue of ATT.

As for website resources for folks like us, I started compiling a list a couple of years ago with intention of doing a small article on the subject. I honestly can't remember whether we actually published the article, but will check. If not, I'd still like to do so and could really use your input if you think there'd be any interest in such a list. I recall that the ProtoStar site links some great research that Brian (Bryan?) has conducted, but also recall the link being a bit hard to find. I also recall Unihedron's site including some very interested information as well. Ditto Stark Labs. Please do let me know of any you thinks others might find interesting.

Thanks.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:25 am 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Hi Gary,

Yes, Bob is a great guy. I've spent a lot of time emailing back and forth discussing optics and scope designs, and he is always willing to help and take the time with anyone. A good friend of mine purchased a 12.5 mirror from him a few years back and had another one re-figured, and said the same thing. We are lucky to have him in the amateur community. BTW, he produces some incredible mirrors!

I've never talked with Brian at Protostar but always found his website very useful.

Personally I think resource lists can be invaluable. When I was really active in observing our little group was constantly looking for web-based sources, so yes I do believe there would be an interest in having a list at one's fingertips. It certainly would save people a lot of hunting time and allow them to spend more doing the actual research they need.

See the sticky thread here.

This was something I put together one day from my bookmarks, and some members from here have recommended additions as well. Please feel free to use it for any article research.