-The Great Paul Krugman

Evolution is both fact and theory. Creationism is neither. -Anonymous

Profile Quote
Chopin
Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:24 am
Velocepedist

Location: In search of the ultimate switchbacks and single tracks

Wild! It's not April 1st, so I'm guessing this is real?!? After looking at the truss scopes on their site I see 36", 40" and 50"?!?!? undoubtedly cool, if it's real, and if you have the cash. Looks like something mostly useful for universities and wealthy entrepreneurs. My first question, though, especially noticing the 14" they also list, why not go straight to 16", since 12" TO 14" isn't that large of a gain? And how about offering something like a 20" or 24" which would actually garner them some substantial sales from a greater population?

Jason® (Admin...and spoke-folk)
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
Veritable Imagery
Single ride personal records: Distance-76.7miles, Max Speed-50.4mph, Max sustained speed (20miles) 19.5mph
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Profile Quote
Chopin
Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:24 am
Velocepedist

Oh yeah, thanks for the link, Erik.

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
Veritable Imagery
Single ride personal records: Distance-76.7miles, Max Speed-50.4mph, Max sustained speed (20miles) 19.5mph
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Profile Quote
Kawx4d
Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:27 am
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

They should include a powered observer's cage with it!

Kerry

[ img ]

Oh, yeah. The Stifmeister's coming back to Grand Harbor. Deck the halls. Bye-bye, Great Falls. Wipe my a$$ and lick my ba!!s It's Stifler time, baby. Whoo-hoo-hoo. Whoo-hoo-hoo. ~Steve Stifler-American Pie 2 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Profile Quote
Erik
Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:11 am
Site Admin

I'm also curious as towhy they wouldn't offer something in the 16"- 24" range as well. It's almost as if this is a gimmick. If you've got $123,000, they'll figure out a way to build one for you but it doesn't seem like something they really plan on marketing. More like "we've got the biggest scope for sale".

Still, nice to know that something like this would be available. If I bought one, I'd have to live in it too. :lol:

-Erik Wilcox
Homebuilt 16" Truss Dob
8" Antares f/5 Newt
SV 80mm ED Nighthawk NG on M1 ALT/AZ
Nikon Prostaff 65mm spotter on Trekpod
Konusvue 20x80 binos/Peterson PipeMount

"Newt Gingrich is what stupid people think smart people sound like."
-The Great Paul Krugman

Profile Quote
snorkler
Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:28 am
quasar

I could afford that, but not the dark sky property to house it on, and the house, and the security guards.

Ah, but I was so much older then.
I'm younger than that now
Bob Dylan

[ img ]
49.6 mpg avg over 38,000 miles. 177% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 9.8 mi
Best tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg

Profile Quote
Erik
Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:55 am
Site Admin

I love this disclaimer:

"Concentrated sunlight from this much aperture can damage the telescope or set its surroundings on fire!"

-Erik Wilcox
Homebuilt 16" Truss Dob
8" Antares f/5 Newt

-The Great Paul Krugman

Profile Quote
Greg K.
Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:31 am
Nebula

Those look great. Seems like a limited market for them though.

I'd like to see them offer something in the 18"-20" range for 3k or so.

Profile Quote
Erik
Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:01 pm
Site Admin

That would be really cool. If Orion offered a 20" "budget" dob in that price range, I bet they'd sell a ton of them.

-Erik Wilcox
Homebuilt 16" Truss Dob
8" Antares f/5 Newt

-The Great Paul Krugman

Profile Quote
Chopin
Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:30 pm
Velocepedist

That's exactly what I'm saying...have been saying for a couple years now. The quality and popularity of the current $1800 16" Lightbridge leads me to believe that a 20" in the $2500-$3000 is not only possible, but would sell like french fries. It's about the only item that would make me reconsider putting that same money into a "wildlife" lens for my Canon DSLR. Having looked through a few dobs in the 17.5" to 24" range, I'd say that 20" is the real sweet spot where the Hershel objects start to take on true detail, the Andromeda Galaxy globular clusters become relatively easy, and most of the Messier objects will burn a hole in your retina. A friend of mine has a nice 20" obsession, and M51 was almost photographic in mediocre skies with average light pollution.

Last edited by Chopin on Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
Veritable Imagery

Profile Quote
Talyn
Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:28 am
molecule

Chopin wrote:
Wild! It's not April 1st, so I'm guessing this is real?!? After looking at the truss scopes on their site I see 36", 40" and 50"?!?!? undoubtedly cool, if it's real, and if you have the cash. Looks like something mostly useful for universities and wealthy entrepreneurs. My first question, though, especially noticing the 14" they also list, why not go straight to 16", since 12" TO 14" isn't that large of a gain? And how about offering something like a 20" or 24" which would actually garner them some substantial sales from a greater population?

That's what I was wondering when I saw it. Firstly I wondered if it was a practical joke then I wondered by they are jumping to such huge instruments that only a lucky few can afford (or accommodate, once they have one) from a mere 14". As you say, surely 18", 20", 24" and so on would make more sense.
If I did not already have a 12 inch Dob, I'd be interested in the 14, but as it is, that would be a waste of time, my next scope will be around the 18" to 20" range.

"Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop. But just because science doesn't know everything, doesn't mean you can fill in the gaps with whatever fairytale most appeals to you." Dara O'Briain, Irish comedian.

Profile Quote
Kawx4d
Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:07 am
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

I doubt they will sell many of these. At $123,000 if I were in the market for a 50", I'd contact Rick at Starmaster, or Eric at Webster first to see what a custom build in that size would cost. I'd even look into a Tom O. Spica-Eyes with slip-stream drive. Orion makes some nice affordable gear, but a 50" is very specialized. Telescopes do not scale well, so if I'm diving into 6-figure range I would want to make darn sure that the structure was well-built and mechanically sound. A 50" mirror that isn't supported properly is useless, and so is a truss structure that large with too much flexure.

Anyone or any university who can afford $123K could probably afford $200K to make certain both the optics and mechanics were up to snuff. Speaking from experience both Rick's & Tom O's customer service is top-notch, and I'm sure Eric Webster's is as well.

Having said that, for most of us a 20" would be a the ultimate goal. It definitely is for me having owned the 14.5 for 6 years. I can still move a 20" and set it up by myself, still store it inside, and still get it in my vehicle without the need for a trailer. It's also easy enough to leave setup outside for a couple days with a cover. The 50" would really require some type of permanent observatory setup IMHO.

Last edited by Kawx4d on Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kerry

[ img ]

Oh, yeah. The Stifmeister's coming back to Grand Harbor. Deck the halls. Bye-bye, Great Falls. Wipe my a$$ and lick my ba!!s It's Stifler time, baby. Whoo-hoo-hoo. Whoo-hoo-hoo. ~Steve Stifler-American Pie 2 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Profile Quote
Erik
Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:17 am
Site Admin

The other thing is that, honestly, Orion isn't known for their "high end" gear. They sell a lot of good quality Orion branded products, but their not "top of the line". So if I was spending this kind of money, I don't know that I'd be looking at Orion as a serious contender for such an instrument. And from a point of pride context, I'm not sure I'd want my $123,000 telescope to say Orion all over the side. Not that there's anything wrong with Orion- I own lots of Orion branded gear. But they don't make anything themselves, and I'd probably want to buy such a scope directly from the manufacturer rather than from a third party that uses a subcontractor to build it.

-Erik Wilcox
Homebuilt 16" Truss Dob
8" Antares f/5 Newt

-The Great Paul Krugman

Profile Quote
Kawx4d
Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:37 pm
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Exactly!

Kerry

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Greg K.
Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:50 pm
Nebula

I have to wonder who is making these for Orion.

Profile Quote
fmeireso
Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:41 pm
Laser Surgeon

In Belgium there is dealer who sells them too. Price is thesame as far as the figures are concerned....
Only it is in Euro not dollars. What a ripp off!

Obsession 18 inch #1638
Orion Optics (UK) 8 inch

Profile Quote
Kawx4d
Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:54 pm
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

I think you folks on the other side of the pond get royally screwed in that respect. Any indication as to whether it is the manufacturers charging the distributors more, or the retail dealers sticking it to the consumer? My guess would be the latter.

Kerry

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Square_peg
Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:09 pm
The Blacksmith

Erik wrote:
It's almost as if this is a gimmick. If you've got $123,000, they'll figure out a way to build one for you but it doesn't seem like something they really plan on marketing.

Yep, pure marketing tripe. [ img ]

And they've priced it to make sure no one calls their bluff. My opinion of Orion just sunk a little lower.

Tom (Pegster)

subvert the dominant paradigm

Profile Quote
Talyn
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:46 am
molecule

Kawx4d wrote:
I think you folks on the other side of the pond get royally screwed in that respect. Any indication as to whether it is the manufacturers charging the distributors more, or the retail dealers sticking it to the consumer? My guess would be the latter.

Do we ever! For example, a Televue Ethos might cost $500. Here in the UK it would be ?500, despite the exchange rate - at the time of writing - being around $1.6 to the ?. It's not just retailers, it's also sales tax (VAT here is a massive 17.5%) and whatever import duties are slapped onto the product. It sucks and is why I left buying some of my Televue eyepieces until I visited the States; I effectively got two for the price of one in Texas in 2008. We get shafted.

"Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop. But just because science doesn't know everything, doesn't mean you can fill in the gaps with whatever fairytale most appeals to you." Dara O'Briain, Irish comedian.

Profile Quote
Kawx4d
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:09 am
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Talyn wrote:
Do we ever! For example, a Televue Ethos might cost $500. Here in the UK it would be ?500, despite the exchange rate - at the time of writing - being around $1.6 to the ?. It's not just retailers, it's also sales tax (VAT here is a massive 17.5%) and whatever import duties are slapped onto the product. It sucks and is why I left buying some of my Televue eyepieces until I visited the States; I effectively got two for the price of one in Texas in 2008. We get shafted.

Damn that's brutal. So every TSP you get a new TV eyepiece? :mrgreen:

Kerry

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Talyn
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:18 am
molecule

Kawx4d wrote:
Talyn wrote:

Damn that's brutal. So every TSP you get a new TV eyepiece? :mrgreen:

Yep.

But if I even make it to TSP this time, the spending will have to be curbed. :neutral:

Profile Quote
Kawx4d
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:40 am
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

I'm surprised the retailers / distributors choose to do this to the consumer. It's bad business, especially when all of you seem to be fully aware of it. If your system is like ours, all the import tariffs and VAT (Sales Tax in the US) get passed on to the end consumer anyway, so the distributor is really making out. Why not calculate the exchange price and sell it at that? Per unit revenue would go down, but I would think they would more than make up for it with increased volume, and everybody would be much happier.

Kerry

[ img ]

Profile Quote
fmeireso
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:52 am
Laser Surgeon

Kawx4d wrote:

sure it's the dealer and should he forget ,the State sure will do the rest....ah well...we have great social security don't we... :mrgreen: :urgh:

Obsession 18 inch #1638
Orion Optics (UK) 8 inch

Profile Quote
fmeireso
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:01 pm
Laser Surgeon

Talyn wrote:
Kawx4d wrote:

Yeah horrible is'nt it ...VAT is even 21% in Belgium...import tax 4.5 % on optics .and VAT is calculated on the amount of the goods AND SHIPPING costs...Imagine what i had to pay for my Obsession....

Actually i was quite thrilled to buy my 22x85 Apollo bino in Britain with 15% (dec 2009) VAT and against a weak pound. Save me quite some money...I can assure you.

Obsession 18 inch #1638
Orion Optics (UK) 8 inch

Profile Quote
snorkler
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:52 pm
quasar

Well, the reality is likely that Televue has one European/UK distributor, who is responsible for the price markup. Of course, the distributor is also responsible for handling all TV warranty claims, repair service, etc. Orion is likely the same. I imagine most of the TV service and warranty work ends up being done back in the USA, so the distributor ends up paying the shipping both ways, and feels justified charging the markup. Even if it hires local staff to do the work, the salaries have to come from somewhere, most likely from the mark-up.

Bob Dylan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Talyn
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:59 pm
molecule

fmeireso wrote:
Talyn wrote:
Kawx4d wrote:

Yeah horrible is'nt it ...VAT is even 21% in Belgium...import tax 4.5 % on optics .and VAT is calculated on the amount of the goods AND SHIPPING costs...Imagine what i had to pay for my Obsession....

Actually i was quite thrilled to buy my 22x85 Apollo bino in Britain with 15% (dec 2009) VAT and against a weak pound. Save me quite some money...I can assure you.

Unfortunately the VAT has just this week gone back up to 17.5%. But 21% in Belgium? I didn't realise that some countries screw even higher sales taxes from their citizens than the UK does. :boggle:

In the UK, we also pay something like 4.5% on import duties and VAT on shipping. I'd love to save for an Obsession but I dread to think how much it would be with all the 'extras' (taxes) on it.

Mentioning taxes, gas customers here pay 5% VAT on gas (that's natural gas for lighting, heating, cooking, etc, not gasoline by the way) plus what the Labour Government call a 'climate change levy' (i.e. yet another tax). The CCL's bad enough on it's own, but that ALSO has VAT slapped on it at the full 17.5%. What a bloody rip-off! But I digress. Not out to bash my own country, but all these taxes piss me off.

Profile Quote
fmeireso
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:58 pm
Laser Surgeon

Quote:
Unfortunately the VAT has just this week gone back up to 17.5%. But 21% in Belgium? I didn't realise that some countries screw even higher sales taxes from their citizens than the UK does

Sure. Many things are 21% in Belgium. As of taxes Belgiums is one THE countries of perhaps even THE ONLY country that has them that high.

Even in Germany it's 19% on optics

But i happen to have struck deals on about every bino i acquired. I did not know that the VAT was going to go up in Britain after new year. Fortunately i orderd it from FLO (whom have allready LOW prices on their Apollos) and just before the VAT in Britain went up...
i bought 3 helios binos in Belgium, a sell out with 30 to 40 % reduction.

Do I feel lucky :razz:

Obsession 18 inch #1638
Orion Optics (UK) 8 inch

Profile Quote
Square_peg
Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:57 pm
The Blacksmith

It's too bad Scopemania doesn't import Tele Vue.

Tom (Pegster)

subvert the dominant paradigm

Profile Quote
Gary
Post subject: Re: Orion 50"!!!
Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:24 pm
molecule

Erik wrote:

I got to see one of the big Orion Dobs for the first time yesterday and they are indeed real and the Orion team is very serious about them. Telescopes Norman is building them for Orion and, although his standard fair is decidedly fanciful, it's also of remarkable quality and the highest craftsmanship.

Meanwhile, I couldn't agree more that a 20" budget Dob (when matched with Orion's world-class customer care, product support and financing option) would have lots of us rethinking the step up to a truly large Dob. The Orion team is attending NEAF in full force for the first time this year and I'll mention it to them today.

Thanks!

Gary

Profile Quote
snorkler
Post subject:
Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:22 am
quasar

If you're speaking about Normand Fullum, his telescopes are works of art. Unless he seriously downgrades his work for Orion, anyone who buys one of these big Dobs will be getting a top quality product.

Bob Dylan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 31 posts ]
Return to “Telescopes and Binoculars” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: