[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
• View topic - Advantages of 18 inches over 12 inches

It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:58 am 
molecule

"Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop. But just because science doesn't know everything, doesn't mean you can fill in the gaps with whatever fairytale most appeals to you." Dara O'Briain, Irish comedian.

Last edited by Talyn on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:55 am 
Site Admin

SV 80mm ED Nighthawk NG on M1 ALT/AZ
Nikon Prostaff 65mm spotter on Trekpod
Konusvue 20x80 binos/Peterson PipeMount

"Newt Gingrich is what stupid people think smart people sound like."
-The Great Paul Krugman

Evolution is both fact and theory. Creationism is neither. -Anonymous

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:15 pm 
quasar

49.6 mpg avg over 38,000 miles. 177% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 9.8 mi
Best tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:30 pm 
Velocepedist

Location: In search of the ultimate switchbacks and single tracks

Single ride personal records: Distance-76.7miles, Max Speed-50.4mph, Max sustained speed (20miles) 19.5mph
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:45 pm 
quasar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:16 pm 
Velocepedist

Location: In search of the ultimate switchbacks and single tracks
Feeling sorry for you...hating your guts...it's all the same, right? :razz:

Single ride personal records: Distance-76.7miles, Max Speed-50.4mph, Max sustained speed (20miles) 19.5mph
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:40 am 
molecule

Re. 16" over 12", that's as much as I thought. There's a guy on CN who swears that a 16" offers no advantage over 12" and I didn't think that was right.

Snorkler, how much do you want for the 18"?

"Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop. But just because science doesn't know everything, doesn't mean you can fill in the gaps with whatever fairytale most appeals to you." Dara O'Briain, Irish comedian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:10 am 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Definitely go with the 18" in this case since you are moving up from a 12. Not only brightness but resolution will be better, and the weight and bulk difference between the 16 and 18 isn't that much.

In addition you will go a full magnitude deeper for every 254% increase in surface area. In this case the 18 is about 225% so you are getting .89 magnitudes deeper over your 12 vs. about 0.7 if you went with the 16. The amount of stars visible from one magnitude to the next are exponential so it opens up a hell of a lot more sky at the eyepiece than your 12. The 18 has an additional .2 mags over the 16, which wouldn't blow you away, but it could make the difference in detecting faint galaxies or seeing a little more at the threshold.

The guy on CN who says a 16 doesn't offer any real advantage over a 12 is probably looking, rather than observing. There is a noticeable difference. It might not be the knock-you-socks-off difference you get from a 12 to a 20, but there is a noticeable increase in the amount of information available to you in the 16.

In this case, I think the 18 would be a great way to go for you if you have no issues with moving the scope. Good luck!

Oh, yeah. The Stifmeister's coming back to Grand Harbor. Deck the halls. Bye-bye, Great Falls. Wipe my a$$ and lick my ba!!s It's Stifler time, baby. Whoo-hoo-hoo. Whoo-hoo-hoo. ~Steve Stifler-American Pie 2 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:06 pm 
quasar

Faith,

Asking $4,500 USD. It has DSCs and Servocat installed, but I can't find the Argo-Navis controller. Groundboard driven by Servocat has one flat spot that may need rebuilding.

It's f/4.2, nice and short, so I never have to climb more than 2 steps on the ladder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:01 am 
molecule

That's quite a bit more than the one I can buy over here, which does not include shipping and import duty (although I am not sure that a second hand scope would attract import duty - although knowing UK Customs, that's entirely possible).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:22 pm 
quasar

Glad to hear you can get a scope like that so reasonably. I think of UK optics prices as typically the same numerical value as our US dollar price, but in Pounds, which makes your cost ~70% higher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:45 am 
molecule