18"

Moderators: Erik, Chopin
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 29 posts ]
Talyn
Post subject: 18"
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:34 am
molecule

Last year, I was planning to get a new, large, scope, something of 18 or 20 inches aperture but life, as it tends to do, intervened and I ended up spending the money on something else instead (hence my thread below on 16" Lightbridges).
Anyway, I got a nice fat tax refund from Her Maj's Revenue and Customs back in March, so I put that towards an 18" dob which, all being well, should be ready by early September. It should have been done by now but the scope builder ran into problems with a somewhat complicated prior order, which has held up proceedings by several weeks as he needed to complete that before getting on with mine. While that's kind of frustrating, the light summer nights (but rapidly getting darker at last!) and typically crap British summer weather means that it doesn't matter that much as I can wait until September, when the weather will (should) be better.

This is where the new scope is coming from: http://www.dobsonians.co.uk/

It will be perfect for the kind of observing I like to do - observing galaxies, galaxy clusters, faint planetary nebulae, faint and small diffuse nebulae and Palomar globulars. However, I won't neglect the showpieces, of course!

"Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop. But just because science doesn't know everything, doesn't mean you can fill in the gaps with whatever fairytale most appeals to you." Dara O'Briain, Irish comedian.

Profile Quote
Square_peg
Post subject: Re: 18"
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:25 pm
The Blacksmith

I've heard good things about Lukehurst dobs. What f ratio will your 18" have?

Tom (Pegster)

subvert the dominant paradigm

Profile Quote
Erik
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:05 pm
Site Admin

Interesting site- I've never seen those before. They're beautiful- looks like great build quality. Will the 18" be one of those open style dobs like on the front page? Very impressive.

-Erik Wilcox
Homebuilt 16" Truss Dob
8" Antares f/5 Newt
SV 80mm ED Nighthawk NG on M1 ALT/AZ
Nikon Prostaff 65mm spotter on Trekpod
Konusvue 20x80 binos/Peterson PipeMount

"Newt Gingrich is what stupid people think smart people sound like."
-The Great Paul Krugman

Evolution is both fact and theory. Creationism is neither. -Anonymous

Profile Quote
Chopin
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:32 am
Velocepedist

Location: In search of the ultimate switchbacks and single tracks

Yes, Lukehurst has a solid reputation. You will be giving us a full report after its arrival...yes? :grin:

Jason® (Admin...and spoke-folk)
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
Veritable Imagery
Single ride personal records: Distance-76.7miles, Max Speed-50.4mph, Max sustained speed (20miles) 19.5mph
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Profile Quote
Talyn
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:33 am
molecule

Tom - the scope will be an f/4.5. Like you I've heard good stuff about Lukehurst dobs - just as well, really, as he's the only premium scope maker we have here in the UK!

Erik - yes, it's a truss-tube scope.

Jason - of course I will. :grin:

"Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop. But just because science doesn't know everything, doesn't mean you can fill in the gaps with whatever fairytale most appeals to you." Dara O'Briain, Irish comedian.

Profile Quote
Erik
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:34 am
Site Admin

Sounds great- can't wait to see pics and read your report! :cool:

-Erik Wilcox
Homebuilt 16" Truss Dob
8" Antares f/5 Newt

-The Great Paul Krugman

Profile Quote
Kawx4d
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:15 pm
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Congrats on the new scope! I've heard great things about Lukehurst dobs and look forward to your reports. Did you go with the traditional truss or ultra-portable truss design?

Kerry

[ img ]

Oh, yeah. The Stifmeister's coming back to Grand Harbor. Deck the halls. Bye-bye, Great Falls. Wipe my a$$ and lick my ba!!s It's Stifler time, baby. Whoo-hoo-hoo. Whoo-hoo-hoo. ~Steve Stifler-American Pie 2 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Profile Quote
Talyn
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:25 pm
molecule

Traditional truss. The ultra-portable one was too much money.

Profile Quote
Kawx4d
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:34 pm
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

You will probably be happier in the long run anyway. I've done some heavy research into the ultra-portable designs, and while very attractive for those who need to transport a scope, the consensus seems to be the traditional design is far more stable when observing.

We expect pics and lots of 'em!

Kerry

[ img ]

Oh, yeah. The Stifmeister's coming back to Grand Harbor. Deck the halls. Bye-bye, Great Falls. Wipe my a$$ and lick my ba!!s It's Stifler time, baby. Whoo-hoo-hoo. Whoo-hoo-hoo. ~Steve Stifler-American Pie 2 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Profile Quote
Chopin
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:09 pm
Velocepedist

Yes...images!

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
Veritable Imagery
Single ride personal records: Distance-76.7miles, Max Speed-50.4mph, Max sustained speed (20miles) 19.5mph
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Profile Quote
Talyn
Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:20 am
molecule

You'll get them when its done. Should be a few weeks from now.

Profile Quote
snorkler
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 am
quasar

I wouldn't count on seeing your scope until Spring, if I were you. Dave Kriege is the only exception to the custom Dob rule, which says "Your custom Dob will always be delivered a minimum of 4-6 months late."

Ah, but I was so much older then.
I'm younger than that now
Bob Dylan

[ img ]
49.6 mpg avg over 38,000 miles. 177% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 9.8 mi
Best tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg

Profile Quote
Kawx4d
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:08 am
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Very true. I know these small shops run into problems and keeping production on track can be challenging for them. However, since they know that's a problem with that aspect of their business, I still find it quite annoying that they refuse to consider it when estimating lead times for delivery. Considering it's usually a 50% deposit, I'd rather be told a longer time and be pleasantly surprised when it ships early, than have my delivery time pushed back 3 or 4 times during the build. You'd think these guys would get a clue.

Having said that, I'd also much rather have a shop build, then completely test the scope as a whole under the stars before shipping. One thing I've never liked with Kreige's operation is that the primary never meets the secondary & structure, and the scope is not tested as an entire system before shipping. On a scope costing that much, it shouldn't be left to the consumer to discover problems with their new $10K+ premium dob. The two Obsession owners I've known both had some critical issues with their scopes after taking delivery, and the solutions were not quick.

Kerry

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Erik
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:46 pm
Site Admin

Yeah, a scope costing $10K should definitely arrive problem-free!

I've been surprised at a few of the duds I've seen with high end dobs. I guess even with the expensive stuff, a dog slips by every now and then.

-Erik Wilcox
Homebuilt 16" Truss Dob
8" Antares f/5 Newt

-The Great Paul Krugman

Profile Quote
Chopin
Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:41 am
Velocepedist

I see it with Canon's L series lenses all the time. Can you imagine paying $2500 for a lens, only to have it produce soft images?!? Of course every item we buy is in someway built (or inspected) by humans, so errors will occur even in the best brands. Even Toyota slips a real turkey through the cracks every once in a while.

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
Veritable Imagery

Profile Quote
Talyn
Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:25 am
molecule

Erik wrote:
Yeah, a scope costing $10K should definitely arrive problem-free!

I've been surprised at a few of the duds I've seen with high end dobs. I guess even with the expensive stuff, a dog slips by every now and then.

A friend of mine has recently got a 22" Obsession UC and is having no end of problems with it. Based on what I've heard from him and read elsewhere, I would not touch an Obsession UC with a bargepole.

I sincerely hope my scope doesn't take another 4-6 months! It shouldn't though, it's half done already and will be a few more weeks.

Profile Quote
Kawx4d
Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:42 am
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Talyn wrote:
A friend of mine has recently got a 22" Obsession UC and is having no end of problems with it. Based on what I've heard from him and read elsewhere, I would not touch an Obsession UC with a bargepole.
Neither would I. The one guy I know has an 18 UC and he had to do a lot of mods to it after receiving it for various issues, not the least of which was stopping a large amount of lateral movement of the primary in its cell. He got the $400 transport case for it and the edge of his primary got damaged en route to a dark site. The road was a bit rough, but the amount of movement was over a 1/2" either direction and a star washer on the cell chipped the edge of the mirror. The case didn't do a thing to protect from that problem, not to mention how would the scope remain collimated with that much movement.

I transported my Starmaster over some very rough road, going quite fast at times, & the mirror never moved.

The biggest reason I'd never touch one is that I exchanged several emails with Dave Kreige, and despite the fact my situation met his criteria for going with a UC, he still seemed like he was trying to talk me out of it, and kept reiterating how much more stable the traditional design was over the UC. Given the two designs are the same price for any given aperture (at least they were at the time) I found it rather odd. When the builder doesn't seem to have much faith in his own product, I'm not going anywhere near it.

Kerry

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Chopin
Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:21 am
Velocepedist

Kawx4d wrote:
When the builder doesn't seem to have much faith in his own product, I'm not going anywhere near it.
Words to live by.

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
Veritable Imagery

Profile Quote
Talyn
Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:54 am
molecule

If Dave K doesn't have much faith in the Obsession UC, then why keep advertising it on his site? Strikes me as odd.

Profile Quote
Kawx4d
Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:04 am
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

It sure does, but throughout the entire email exchange I felt as if he were trying to talk me out of it. Granted there is a possibility that it could just be his way and I misconstrued his intentions, but he kept mentioning the traditional design, and telling me to only go with the UC if I needed a small storage and transport package. It was mostly the storage for me. Right or wrong, it gave me the impression that he wasn't overly thrilled with the UC, which really turned me off to the product.

Kerry

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Talyn
Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:35 am
molecule

The scope's nearly done. David is going to finish the construction tomorrow, then do the painting, assembly (to make sure it all goes together properly) and checks and hopefully I can collect it next Wednesday (depending on some work stuff which looks as if it is going to inconveniently get in the way). Otherwise I'll have to wait another three weeks before I can get it.

Profile Quote
Erik
Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:29 pm
Site Admin

Nice! Can't wait to see pics and read your first light report! :cool:

-Erik Wilcox
Homebuilt 16" Truss Dob
8" Antares f/5 Newt

-The Great Paul Krugman

Profile Quote
snorkler
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:13 am
quasar

I'll believe it when you take possession & show us pics ;). Sounds like it's definitely close to being done. Congratulations!

Ah, but I was so much older then.
I'm younger than that now
Bob Dylan

[ img ]
49.6 mpg avg over 38,000 miles. 177% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 9.8 mi
Best tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg

Profile Quote
Chopin
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:03 am
Velocepedist

I'm excited to see it. Looking forward to hearing about your first light, too. :smile:

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
Veritable Imagery

Profile Quote
Talyn
Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:40 am
molecule

I collected the scope last Wednesday but have only had one session with it, as the weather has been utter crap here. You can see pics here.

Profile Quote
Kawx4d
Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:52 am
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Nice scope Faith! I like how the UTA nests completely within the mirror box - nice touch. Great observing report too. Congrats on the new scope!

Kerry

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Chopin
Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:58 am
Velocepedist

Great to see the scope is finally in your hands, Faith! I also like the primary mirror setup. It should help to further reduce stray light.

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
Veritable Imagery

Profile Quote
Erik
Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:39 am
Site Admin

Beautiful scope! Congratulations!!! :cool:

-Erik Wilcox
Homebuilt 16" Truss Dob
8" Antares f/5 Newt

-The Great Paul Krugman

Profile Quote
Talyn
Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:00 am
molecule

Thanks. I am now waiting for the weather to clear (it's supposed to, but there's no evidence of it just yet) so it can have its second light...

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 29 posts ]
Return to “Telescopes and Binoculars”
Jump to: