It is currently Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Explore Scientific 127
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:45 am 
molecule

Chopin! You asked for pix...here you go. The new OTA is mounted on my Losmandy G11 on a side by side saddle w/the guide scope, an old Orion 100mm f6 achromat. The finder scope is a very nice Orion product, a 70mm f7 (I think..). It comes w/o diagonal or eyepiece...but we all have those! As you can see I am on an island in the San Juan Archipelago of NW WA State, about 5 mi. from border w/healthcareutopia. I have relatively dark skies for a sea level location though Vancouver, BC blooms to the N. There is a small solar panel to charge the 12v battery that "can" run the whole thing but it is easy to run a cord out for AC. The G11 prefers 18v. The only thing missing is my HP 8440p laptop that runs the cameras and stores the data. It is a great piece of gear w/ a waterproof keyboard and a little LED keyboard light instead of the NSA surveillance camera. Of course I can also mount my other OTAs that include the Canon 300mm f2.8, the AT90EDT, and the AT10RC. I also have a QHY10, a cooled APS-C sized 10mp one shot color camera based on a very low noise Sony chip. But the Canon 5D MarkII is exceeding all my expectations and I may never go back!

Attachments:
telescope-1.jpg
telescope-1.jpg [ 128.87 KiB | Viewed 4797 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:47 am 
molecule

And one more image of the scope

Attachments:
telescope-2.jpg
telescope-2.jpg [ 140.59 KiB | Viewed 4796 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:38 pm 
Velocepedist

Location: In search of the ultimate switchbacks and single tracks
That is a fantastic setup, and a sensational environment to shoot in. Must be awesome to smell the salt water moisture rolling in after midnight. The scope is a real deal for that price, wowsers! Thanks for the images!

Veritable Imagery
Single ride personal records: Distance-76.7miles, Max Speed-50.4mph, Max sustained speed (20miles) 19.5mph
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:56 am 
molecule

Hmmmm, yes, the salt air...Well, I'm not complaining, mind you, but there are pluses and minuses to that fragrant element. My best friend is a can of CorrosionX. Curse the telescope designers who used network connectors and DIN plugs that are completely open to the environment. Eventually on my CGE I spent about $1k to convert all the connectors to sealed plugs. The blue tape you see on my Gemini is an attempt to keep the unused outlets sealed up. The first thing I do in every session is wiggle everything! And...I'm right out on the point you see in this attached Google Earth image. Windy... I wish I could have a little dome out there but it would be such a grotesque intrusion on the natural beauty of the place I can't quite bring myself to do it.

All in all I wouldn't trade it for anything, a remarkable bit of Paradise, and a wonderful place to live out my childhood fantasies which included being an astronomer.

Attachments:
Nell's ponds.jpg
Nell's ponds.jpg [ 161.91 KiB | Viewed 4791 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:19 pm 
Site Admin

Beautiful! Both the scope and your chosen place of observing! :cool:

SV 80mm ED Nighthawk NG on M1 ALT/AZ
Nikon Prostaff 65mm spotter on Trekpod
Konusvue 20x80 binos/Peterson PipeMount

"Newt Gingrich is what stupid people think smart people sound like."
-The Great Paul Krugman

Evolution is both fact and theory. Creationism is neither. -Anonymous