It is currently Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:43 pm 
Velocepedist

Location: In search of the ultimate switchbacks and single tracks
Very nice, Kerry. Good review. It's amazing how helpful it is to test drive optical equipment before buying. It's exciting to hear that you had such an experience. I have looked through Swaro binos a few times before. I typically gasp at the optical perfection. Something almost magical. If these vortex binos are 95% of the Swaros, I really need to put some serious consideration into such a purchase. I've recently been eyeballing I got the Fuji 16x70 and this is making me consider alternates again.

Veritable Imagery
Single ride personal records: Distance-76.7miles, Max Speed-50.4mph, Max sustained speed (20miles) 19.5mph
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:52 am 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Thanks Jason. The test was just in the store, which is a huge place, looking at their models of game animals and birds, so I didn't have the Swaro's outside. These targets were still a good couple hundred feet away at least and offered a variety of different lighting conditions. I did look at the distant mountains through their large window front, but that's still through another medium. I suppose in that case all the units were subject to the same set of conditions so while not ideal, it should have provided an equal footing.

This was my initial impression in the store, and once I got the Vortex home and had used them for a while I was more than pleased with them. For me with binos, even if it turns out to be only 90% of the performance of the Swaros for 1/4 the price, I'm plenty happy with that. My point to this is that I had to go looking for the differences to find them. Yes the Swaros were a little better, but barely in my opinion. I was certainly expecting an easily-noticeable difference in the optics at the price differential, but there wasn't one for me. I also didn't find a noticeable difference in construction - both units felt extremely solid in hand. Both units were sealed and argon purged so no difference there either.

As much as I've always wanted a nice set of European glass, after seeing the Vortex and the Nikon run toe-to-toe with them I could never bring myself to bite the bullet for the Swaros.

As for the Fuji 16x70 they are still one of the premier binos for astronomy IMHO. They are heavy and really need a tripod, and the eye relief on the 16s is a little tight if you wear glasses, but they produce an incredibly flat image with minimal aberrations. I've always loved those.

Oh, yeah. The Stifmeister's coming back to Grand Harbor. Deck the halls. Bye-bye, Great Falls. Wipe my a$$ and lick my ba!!s It's Stifler time, baby. Whoo-hoo-hoo. Whoo-hoo-hoo. ~Steve Stifler-American Pie 2 :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:41 pm 
Velocepedist

Thanks for the feedback, Kerry. Funny, I just read my post and noticed that I said "I got" with regards to my interest in the Fuji. I do not have them. I'm not even sure what I meant to say. Damn iPhone autocorrect. Haha.

I have heard the eye relief is tight on the 16x70 Fuji. That's one of the reasons I've never pulled the trigger. I also contemplate a pair of Pentax 20x60 PCF WP's to compliment my 8x40. They have good optics and great eye relief. Not not likely the optical performance of the Vortex.

Veritable Imagery
Single ride personal records: Distance-76.7miles, Max Speed-50.4mph, Max sustained speed (20miles) 19.5mph
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:36 am 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

If I were going for 16x70s today I would buy these.

Lunt Engineering Magnesium Series

20mm eye-relief, magnesium body, purged & sealed. Click back to the main Magnesium Series page as well. I believe they have engineered these to have a flat field. They are Chinese glass but I don't think Lunt would source crap. From the little I've heard they're very close to the Fujis.

There really aren't a lot of reviews on these even though they've been out a while, but here's a thread from CN.

CN Thread & Review

Oh, yeah. The Stifmeister's coming back to Grand Harbor. Deck the halls. Bye-bye, Great Falls. Wipe my a$$ and lick my ba!!s It's Stifler time, baby. Whoo-hoo-hoo. Whoo-hoo-hoo. ~Steve Stifler-American Pie 2 :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:45 am 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

About 10 years ago, maybe longer, I had a pair of the Pentax 16x60s PCF WP ( I don't think they make the 16s anymore). I ended up sending them back because the apparent field was so narrow for binoculars at only 44*. I knew that going in but thought I'd try them anyway, but it was tough to fit objects like the Pleiades and Double Cluster in the field.

Pentax makes great glass so I never quite understood why they kept the field so narrow on the PCF series. The image they put up was very nice. In fact after a while I actually wish I would have kept them. The price was very reasonable, but I was in full wide-field mode at that time so I parted with them and exchanged for something else.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:24 pm 
Velocepedist

Good info. I've seen these binos on the Lunt site, but never thought much about them. I assumed they were a rehash of the Kunming 15x70, but reports seem to suggest IQ near the Fuji with far better eyepieces. Interesting wrench you've thrown...

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:11 am 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

The Lunt 16x70s are tempting. With 20mm eye-relief and flat field they seem pretty tough to beat in their class, but I don't think you could go wrong with either the Lunts or Fujis. Keep us posted on what you decide. The only reason I never bought the Fujis years ago was the 12mm eye-relief. Everything else about them is near-perfection.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:41 pm 
Velocepedist

Yeah. Thanks for making me lust after yet another piece of astro equipment. :lol:

Seriously, I'm still in the works of trying to make a small binoscope happen. Also been tempted by the Oberwerk BT 70 45, even if it does suffer from some prism clipping. All reports suggest it is excellent optically and ED-like color "free" up to 50x. I think if you consider the purchase as a BT 62 45 you will be very happy. The question: can Chopin be happy with only 62mm of aperture? That becomes an interesting point, because my AT 72 ED with binoviewer is close to an equivalent effective aperture, and the fl is only 22% longer which means a reference of 3° vs 3.7°. Plus the 72 w/bv can hit higher mags without color which is itself an advantage I already have.

Other considerations have been A) a Stellarvue Raptor, which is a 90mm fpl53 triplet with a carbon tube. Deal with a slightly tighter FOV, but improve color correction and aperture, or B) grab a pair of 1.25" Matsumoto diagonals and a second AT 72 ED. It would be much heavier, probably 15 lbs when done. But it would bump me up to full field stop territory for eyepieces, such as 32mm plössls or 24 Pans. Optically this would be the ideal solution, but the mounting would require that I design and build a custom fork mount. Not a problem, just an additional consideration.

How did this become a topic about me and binoscopes??? Dude, I totally went parasite on this thread. Sorry.

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:05 pm 
Site Admin

You guys are both bad influences. Let's try and keep the discussion about toys that aren't so expensive :lol:

SV 80mm ED Nighthawk NG on M1 ALT/AZ
Nikon Prostaff 65mm spotter on Trekpod
Konusvue 20x80 binos/Peterson PipeMount

"Newt Gingrich is what stupid people think smart people sound like."
-The Great Paul Krugman

Evolution is both fact and theory. Creationism is neither. -Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:25 pm 
Velocepedist

Like this?

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 48.66 KiB | Viewed 27666 times ]

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:53 pm 
Site Admin

OMG. I better go clean out my 401k :lol:

-The Great Paul Krugman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:28 pm 
Velocepedist

Oh, but wouldn't you love to look through that... :mrgreen:

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:03 am 
Site Admin

Definitely. I've looked through a few big refractors like the 20" at Chabot Space Center in CA but the nicest one I ever looked through was a 7" AP. put a couple of those side by side and that would be pretty incredible. But nothing I could ever afford to buy!

-The Great Paul Krugman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:00 pm 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

So another set of bins mysteriously arrived at my house last week. (How did that happen?) :lol: These were the Vortex 8x42 Talons I had looked at along with the Vipers back in 2015.

Below is a quote from my previous post about the 8x42 Vortex Vipers.

Quote:
After mulling it over, despite the narrower apparent field of the Vipers (true field is still good at 6.6*), the optics were truly excellent and I found them to be the best overall choice. Went to the B & H website and ordered the next day. I took them to Laguna Beach in August, and it was great sweeping the summer MW. So easy to handle, very little shake and even my wife had a great time using them. Excellent daytime use as well, spotting birds as well as dolphins & seals off the coast.

OK so the reason I decided to revisit the Talons was initially the ridiculous FOV. True field is 8.1* and in an 8x42 bin that's damned near impossible to find unless you get the Swaro 8.5x42s. These were $299 at B & H. (Prices on both units have come down almost $100) What happened is the fact I have been using Delos EPs in my binoviewer, and also grabbed a 13mm Ethos. These wide fields have finally been enough that I really don't want any more narrow field EPs or bins, and since I acquired these EPs, the 53* AFOV of the Vipers has been bugging me. So following are my initial impressions after quite a bit of use over the last week...........

Daytime, aside from the noticeably wider TFOV/AFOV of the Talons, there really was not much difference between the two sets with respect to optical performance. Both were nice and clear, both were sharp on axis and EOF started degrading right around the same percentage out from center (80%-85%), which means the Talons may have a larger sweet spot, despite most reports, which indicate about 87%-90% out from center for the Vipers. That is definitely not the case with mine. Level of CA & pincushion was virtually the same. Maybe it's my eyes, but one difference was that the Talons actually seemed noticeably brighter. I'm not sure if it was real, or just perceived because of the larger field (see me comments further down the review). I called Cindy out to get an unbiased opinion, and she noticed that right away - thought the Talons were brighter, but otherwise both were too close to call. When I told her the Vipers were nearly $200 more she asked "why?" Really, I am not seeing the differences I have read in the reports on the birding sites.

Low light at twilight - both were very good and very close. I didn't take the time to find something in the shadows that disappeared first in one unit, but maybe I should. Probably will eventually.

Glare control seems equal despite reports the Vipers are better. Once again, not seeing the difference.

I also noticed the astigmatism seemed worse in the Viper at the bottom of the field than the Talons. Not sure why but any astigmatism seems worse at the bottom on all the Vortex bins, so I'm thinking it might be my own astigmatism making it worse there.

On to night observations.......The Field in the Talons is just so much more aesthetically pleasing than the Vipers, which do seem straw-like in comparison. The Talons are immersive, whereas the Vipers just deliver a very nice image, but I feel far less connected to the narrower, more clinical view. Having said that, once again I was hard-pressed to tell the quality difference between the two. Edge performance, sharpness, CA & pincushion were all close. On resolution I had to jump back and forth several times as one time one seemed better, then the next the other seemed better. Too close to call. However once again the Talons seemed brighter. Stars seemed to pop more in those. Again, not sure if it's just the field creating a perceived feeling or if it's real, but either way I prefer the view in the Talons. I also felt that when I picked M31 out of the western muck, it seemed a bit easier with the Talons.

At one point I thought maybe one of the magnifications wasn't as spec'd. Objects in the Talon seemed a tiny bit smaller on the daytime test. This might indicate a lower mag and therefore brighter image. However I checked the TFOV of the Talons with M41. It's 4* south of Sirius and when I put Sirius at the top edge of the field, M41 was dead center, so 8.1* is correct. It seemed right in the Vipers too as it was 3/4 way to the other edge which would seem right for a 6.5* TFOV, so according to the Vortex specs these both seem to check out as 8x bins.

One thing where the Vipers are definitely better is the focuser. Much smoother, and sometimes almost too smooth as it is easy to blow by best focus, but also easy to correct. I'm hoping the focuser on the Talons loosens up a bit with use. It takes quite a bit more pressure to turn, but I wasn't really going by best focus either. The Vipers are definitely better for quick-focus situations. The Vipers are also 3 oz. lighter, and a bit smaller, so probably a touch easier to handle. However I really like the open bridge design of the Talons and I can grab the barrel easier.

The rubber armor also is better on the Talons. The Vipers are smooth with on-axis raised lines for grip, while the Talons are knobbly and look like a Swaro by comparison. In this case both form and function prevail on the Talons.

So for normal use for enjoyment I prefer the Talons. They are bright, clear, nice and contrasty, and the FOV is wonderful. The Vipers are nice too, just more clinical with the narrower view. Cindy has always liked those so maybe I just keep them both and let her use the Vipers since they are slightly smaller and lighter and probably easier for her. I was really surprised at how close these seemed to me. From what I was all week, I could have never justified the extra $200 for the Vipers. I don't know why I noticed a bigger difference in the store, but I am not seeing it with these two units.

My best guess at this point is sample variation. I think I got an excellent sample of the Talons, and a so-so version of the Vipers, because none of my observations match what I read on the bird forum reviews.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:56 pm 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

A few pics.

By themselves, objectives, eye lens, side by side with Vipers. Pretty low-res shots. I can do high-res if these are too crappy.

Attachments:
IMG_4352.JPG
IMG_4352.JPG [ 79.8 KiB | Viewed 23510 times ]
IMG_4353.JPG
IMG_4353.JPG [ 76.09 KiB | Viewed 23510 times ]
IMG_4356.JPG
IMG_4356.JPG [ 87.87 KiB | Viewed 23510 times ]
IMG_4355.JPG
IMG_4355.JPG [ 77.78 KiB | Viewed 23510 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:34 pm 
Velocepedist

The pics look fine. B&H has a superb return policy. I might send 'em back and hope for a better pair. I've done this with some iPad recording gear in the past. Got an electronic dud. Turn over was fast and painless...no questions asked.

Also, not sure it is the astigmatism from your own eyes, especially if the exit pupil is identical between the two binocs. That just doesn't jive, IMO. They do sound great, though. That FOV is sick!

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:59 am 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

It is a nice FOV. I can get the entire Belt & Sword in the field with both units but just barely with the Vipers. In the Talons there is still a lot of sky all the way around them with a lot more stars in the field. Couldn't stop looking at it last night.

I bought the Vipers back in 2015, so I'd probably have to go directly through Vortex for a return, which is fine. They have a lifetime no fault warranty. This whole thing started out simply for FOV. Figured I could sell the Vipers used for more than the Talons if they were close with that big field. I was just a bit shocked by the lack of difference in optical performance. Maybe my eyes are just getting old.

I don't have to make a decision right away. The Talons are staying regardless. Cindy likes the Vipers because of their easy size so I may just keep them, because she actually does use them sometimes. It's not like they're bad, quite the contrary, they're nice glass. I just thought I'd see more of a difference between the two in actual practice like I did in the store back in 2015.

I realize stores are not perfect but Bass Pro Shop is huge, with detailed game replicas in low light corners and in brightly lit areas. Short of letting me take them outside, which they don't do, they had it setup pretty well for at least getting an idea. All of the bins were subject to the same conditions anyway so I would have thought performance would have scaled to outdoors. Apparently not quite! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:56 pm 
Velocepedist

Okay, I just reread. You said lack of performance difference, but I must have scanned too quickly and missed it. For some reason I swore you said somewhere in the original post that the stars seemed more astigmatic, and even then I though you were referring to the new glass. I must be a mental midget, or something. Too much school, not enough Scotch.

:crazycatlady:

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:01 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting. My boss just bought the Vipers and I'm really impressed with them. Though I haven't tried them side by side with anything recently. I've never used the Talon's.

It's amazing how great the build quality is on even inexpensive binos these days. Not to say that either of those are inexpensive, but it's nice to not have to pay Zeiss prices to get nicely built and performing Optics.

-The Great Paul Krugman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:17 pm 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Chopin wrote:
Okay, I just reread. You said lack of performance difference, but I must have scanned too quickly and missed it. For some reason I swore you said somewhere in the original post that the stars seemed more astigmatic, and even then I though you were referring to the new glass. I must be a mental midget, or something. Too much school, not enough Scotch.

I may have not been very clear, and not sure I'll do much better trying to clarify. We got slammed hard at work this week so my brain is a bit fried right now.

True, I said lack of performance difference. Overall that is true. However I do see leaves on trees during the day and stars at night that seem more astigmatic in the Vipers (the old glass), but only at the bottom of the field. I still have to wonder if my eyes or my glasses are causing this because both sets, and even my 15x56 Vultures are notceably worse at the bottom of the field. I even turned over the binoculars and held them upside down.....still worse at the bottom but not quite as bad, so I don't think it's "only" the bino glass.

Further clarification the distortions over the rest of the field are both field curvature & astigmatism that creeps in towards the edge. These are pretty much the same in both units. FC is noticeable first at around 80%, and astigmatism doesn't become noticeable until about 90% in both bins. Since this starts about the same percentage out for both it is not in line with the reviews I've read. They gave about a 7% advantage to the Vipers as far as percent out from center. This would mean the "usable" true field is about the same in both units, but I completely disagree with that. By those calculations if the Talon starts distorting at 80% from center that would mean the Vipers would have to have a 100% clean field, and they don't. My Talons start minor distortions at 80% and are still not objectionable even at 85%. No way the Viper has an equal usable true field. At least not mine which starts distorting at about 80% from center as well. Clear as mud right?

Overall I prefer the new Talons, but I'm a contrary, so........... :geek:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:23 pm 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Erik wrote:
Interesting. My boss just bought the Vipers and I'm really impressed with them. Though I haven't tried them side by side with anything recently. I've never used the Talon's.

It's amazing how great the build quality is on even inexpensive binos these days. Not to say that either of those are inexpensive, but it's nice to not have to pay Zeiss prices to get nicely built and performing Optics.

It is nice to have excellent options at reasonable cost. I agree the Vipers are impressive. I just think my Talons are optically equal and with the noticeably larger field, even better, though they're not supposed to be. They are for me, but I'm sure others would disagree. Whenever I get my butt out there I'll bring both sets and we can figure it out! Either way both bins are nice performers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:44 am 
Velocepedist

Kawx4d wrote:
Chopin wrote:

I may have not been very clear, and not sure I'll do much better trying to clarify. We got slammed hard at work this week so my brain is a bit fried right now.

True, I said lack of performance difference. Overall that is true. However I do see leaves on trees during the day and stars at night that seem more astigmatic in the Vipers (the old glass), but only at the bottom of the field. I still have to wonder if my eyes or my glasses are causing this because both sets, and even my 15x56 Vultures are notceably worse at the bottom of the field. I even turned over the binoculars and held them upside down.....still worse at the bottom but not quite as bad, so I don't think it's "only" the bino glass.

Further clarification the distortions over the rest of the field are both field curvature & astigmatism that creeps in towards the edge. These are pretty much the same in both units. FC is noticeable first at around 80%, and astigmatism doesn't become noticeable until about 90% in both bins. Since this starts about the same percentage out for both it is not in line with the reviews I've read. They gave about a 7% advantage to the Vipers as far as percent out from center. This would mean the "usable" true field is about the same in both units, but I completely disagree with that. By those calculations if the Talon starts distorting at 80% from center that would mean the Vipers would have to have a 100% clean field, and they don't. My Talons start minor distortions at 80% and are still not objectionable even at 85%. No way the Viper has an equal usable true field. At least not mine which starts distorting at about 80% from center as well. Clear as mud right?

Overall I prefer the new Talons, but I'm a contrary, so........... :geek:

Okay. Yes that clarifies it, although through no doing or yours. I was the idiot that half-heartedly skimmed the initial report. Honestly, I appreciate the thorough information. I have to say, though, 80% and 90% figures for aberrations...that's about as good as bins get. Even the Fujis and Swaros I've used aren't perfect to 100%. Sounds like I may need to consider these when I'm finally ready to upgrade the Pentax PCF (which is a very good bino, but by no means the same league as these).

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:41 pm 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Brother, you are anything but an idiot.

I had a pair of the Pentax porros many years ago. 16x60 I think? Optically they were excellent, but the field was too narrow for me for binoculars so I eventually sold them. I was bummed because I loved everything else about them.

If you look at the Vortex lines, I'd still test them out first if you can. Not to mention I have my own funky astigmatism and looking towards the edge of my glasses isn't like looking through the center of the field. You may come away thinking I need a straight jacket.....oh wait you already do so it would all be good anyway! :razz: :lol: :grin:

Also keep in mind that even though I may be critical in reviewing, in actual use I really like all kind of bins, and enjoy using them. They are my "kickin' it old school" astro tools. Just lay back in the zero grav chair and enjoy the view.

I still love my Vipers, even though I'm pretty sure I'll end up using the Talons more. Vortex arent perfect but I think they're a great value for the price, and have done the bino world a favor with all the different lines for all budgets. No way in my mind the Swaro ELs were worth twice the price of the Razors, even if they were a touch better when I compared them. I'd still love to have a pair of ELs, but can't bring myself to spend nearly what my Stowaway cost on a set of 8x42mm fixed mag bins. Nice we have so many options to generate the fun factor!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:56 pm 
Velocepedist

Well, maybe I can convince the better half to stop by Cabela's with me on date night. My birthday is only a couple months away...! :grin:

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:14 pm 
Velocepedist

Maybe you already mentioned this, but since I'm too lazy to look back I'll ask. How easy is it to take in the full field of the Talon HD with glasses on? Reading all sorts of review on these and I'm starting to get the optics buying tingle for the first time in a few years. It says 18mm of eye relief. If these are closer to superwides then I can see it might be doable. But if they are more like ultrawides it might be tight. Just curious since one of my "must haves" with a bino is eyeglass friendly eye relief. Not so much an issue with eyepieces at the telescope. I just like to glance quickly between bino and naked eye views.

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:15 pm 
Velocepedist

The 45-ish degree AFOV of the Pentax is becoming less enjoyable as I use them more and more.

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:37 pm 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Chopin wrote:
Well, maybe I can convince the better half to stop by Cabela's with me on date night. My birthday is only a couple months away...! :grin:

Just for the hell of it, check out the Zeiss Conquests too. The 10x42s I tried were sweet. Almost ended up with those but wasn't ready to drop $900.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:40 pm 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Chopin wrote:
Maybe you already mentioned this, but since I'm too lazy to look back I'll ask. How easy is it to take in the full field of the Talon HD with glasses on? Reading all sorts of review on these and I'm starting to get the optics buying tingle for the first time in a few years. It says 18mm of eye relief. If these are closer to superwides then I can see it might be doable. But if they are more like ultrawides it might be tight. Just curious since one of my "must haves" with a bino is eyeglass friendly eye relief. Not so much an issue with eyepieces at the telescope. I just like to glance quickly between bino and naked eye views.

For my glasses, I can comfortably get the entire field in the Talons. No problem. My glasses are pretty thin though so definitely try it if you can.

For comparison, my 15x56 Vultures also have a 65* AFOV, but only 15mm ER, and I can still "just" see the entire field without having to push against the eyecups. 15mm is my bottom limit for ER and I much prefer 18-20mm.

For eyepieces, with 17mm ER in the 22Nagler I can just barely see everything In the 82* field. Might give you an idea of any thickness differences between our glasses.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:14 pm 
Site Admin

Ugh. It was actually the Vortex my boss bought, not the Viper's. I think I need some sleep.

-The Great Paul Krugman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:41 pm 
Velocepedist

Kawx4d wrote:
Chopin wrote:

For my glasses, I can comfortably get the entire field in the Talons. No problem. My glasses are pretty thin though so definitely try it if you can.

For comparison, my 15x56 Vultures also have a 65* AFOV, but only 15mm ER, and I can still "just" see the entire field without having to push against the eyecups. 15mm is my bottom limit for ER and I much prefer 18-20mm.

For eyepieces, with 17mm ER in the 22Nagler I can just barely see everything In the 82* field. Might give you an idea of any thickness differences between our glasses.

Thanks, Kerry. I'll guess I'll just have to go check 'em out.

Veritable Imagery

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next