It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: AltAz upgrade
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:18 pm 
left

Earlier tonight I finished modifying a Vixen Icarus-D mount that I've had for a while.

It started off looking like this:

The things I had issues with were that the legs, 'tin' spreader and tray were too flimsy to endure any kind of rough handling and the head itself was designed to attach to mount rings (whereas all my scopes have dovetail plates). I'd originally used it with my PST but the LS60Ha is a little heavier and deserving of a better mount.

So, first I replaced the original legs and spreader with a set recycled from an old EQ3-2 mount that I no longer use and am stripping for parts.

Next I removed the two 1/4 20 UNC mounting studs. I bought a Vixen-style quick release clamp with a reworkable adaptor plate like this: Image from http://www.teleskop-express.de, drilled two 6.5mm holes in the plate to match where the studs used to be and bolted it to the head. It will now be my preferred mount for the LS60Ha solar scope. I'm off this week and will post a photo or two of the completed rig if I get a chance to use it.

A little bit of recycling and some small additions can make a big difference. Apart from the clamp and adaptor plate everything including the bolts was recycled.

Quote:
The Irish Constitution... is written in the present tense. You reason it in light of this year, not in light of the year in which it was adopted by the people. You don't need to hark back to what some people thought thirty or forty years ago.
Brian Walsh, Supreme Court Justice 1961-90

O....o?oo

Last edited by Seantóir on Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:19 am 
Velocepedist

Location: In search of the ultimate switchbacks and single tracks
Recycling is the product of a true ATMer, John. Looks like a worthwhile project. Can't wait to hear of how it works in the field, and will await pictures. :cool:

Veritable Imagery
Single ride personal records: Distance-76.7miles, Max Speed-50.4mph, Max sustained speed (20miles) 19.5mph
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:48 am 
quasar

It looks like it's going to be a nice project, John. Keep us informed how it turns out. I'm still waiting for your first light report with the Lunt solar scope.

49.6 mpg avg over 38,000 miles. 177% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 9.8 mi
Best tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:58 am 
left

So far the lousy weather's defeated me and I've been at work the few times that the Sun has appeared, but I'm hoping to get lucky this week - it's looking up thanks to the cold spell.

Quote:
The Irish Constitution... is written in the present tense. You reason it in light of this year, not in light of the year in which it was adopted by the people. You don't need to hark back to what some people thought thirty or forty years ago.

O....o?oo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:27 pm 
left

snorkler wrote:
It looks like it's going to be a nice project, John. Keep us informed how it turns out. I'm still waiting for your first light report with the Lunt solar scope.

A proper first use experience is looking more and more like a distant possibility this side of next year. The sky was "sunny" around noon today but with the Sun's transit altitude at 13? 16' and a cloud layer due south not one unfiltered sunbeam touched the ground. The sad reality of living at 53? 19' N in Ireland is that solar observing is a spring and summer pursuit except in exceptional weather - and where I live that cloudlessness usually means a local bank of freezing fog that dissipates as the short day wears on but usually lasts until the afternoon Sun dips below the point of extinction for a Ha scope.

At this rate I'm guessing that it will be February before I have a hope.

Quote:

O....o?oo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:25 am 
molecule

John,

Can your mount hold a SV102ED2 scope :?: :?: :?:

I'm looking for a old Vixen Polaris EQ/ALT-AZ mount, but not a Super Polaris.

Tom