It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:05 am 
molecule

Holy SHIT !!!! (Can I say that here? lmao!)

YOU'RE FRIGGIN AWESOME MAN.....WOW....UNREAL WORK !!!!

SO NICE !!!! :food-smiley-004:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheSpectralReview

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:17 pm 
Velocepedist

Location: In search of the ultimate switchbacks and single tracks
Thanks, man!

So, I did all of the final work this weekend. Set the pluck foam up for the drawer, applied the shrink tubing to the aluminum poles, and built a case out of PVC and scrap hardware to hold the poles (and an old camera bag strap lets me sling in over the shoulder while carrying the scope). The entirety of what I need to observe is all carried in a single trip, making setup super easy, and efficient.

Attachments:
20160526-IMG_6181.jpg
20160526-IMG_6181.jpg [ 105.9 KiB | Viewed 26015 times ]
20160528-IMG_6189.jpg
20160528-IMG_6189.jpg [ 122 KiB | Viewed 26015 times ]
20160528-IMG_6187.jpg
20160528-IMG_6187.jpg [ 93.09 KiB | Viewed 26015 times ]
20160529-IMG_6197.jpg
20160529-IMG_6197.jpg [ 104.59 KiB | Viewed 26015 times ]
20160529-IMG_6198.jpg
20160529-IMG_6198.jpg [ 92.19 KiB | Viewed 26015 times ]
20160529-IMG_6201.jpg
20160529-IMG_6201.jpg [ 123.53 KiB | Viewed 26015 times ]

Veritable Imagery
Single ride personal records: Distance-76.7miles, Max Speed-50.4mph, Max sustained speed (20miles) 19.5mph
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:17 pm 
Velocepedist

Ready to rumble!

Attachments:
20160529-IMG_6203.jpg
20160529-IMG_6203.jpg [ 109.68 KiB | Viewed 26015 times ]

Veritable Imagery
Single ride personal records: Distance-76.7miles, Max Speed-50.4mph, Max sustained speed (20miles) 19.5mph
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:29 am 
Site Admin

Looks awesome! First light, first light! :cool:

SV 80mm ED Nighthawk NG on M1 ALT/AZ
Nikon Prostaff 65mm spotter on Trekpod
Konusvue 20x80 binos/Peterson PipeMount

"Newt Gingrich is what stupid people think smart people sound like."
-The Great Paul Krugman

Evolution is both fact and theory. Creationism is neither. -Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:59 pm 
Velocepedist

Well, I tried for first light a couple nights ago, but met a few small obstacles. It was a good time to learn of the minor shortcoming of my design, since the mosquitos were out in mass quantity. The swelling of the scope in the recent humid air pinged out two issues, the azimuth axis was too tight, so I loosened it. Also, the mirror box was just barely rubbing against the drawer at the 45° angle. I pulled the drawer out, took it apart, and trimmed the sides and rear by 3/32". While I had the drawer out I waxed the slide points to give a nice smooth and quiet operation. The biggest issue was not holding collimation. The problem was with the tiny thumb knobs that I was using for the UTA truss clamps. I wasn't able to get enough leverage to clamp all of the trusses tightly, so the UTA would spring out of true just slightly, causing one sided coma smears in the FOV. I just picked up some new knobs so hopefully they will do the trick. I'm sure it will work out.

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:09 pm 
Velocepedist

Last night was another test session. Only 20 minutes or so. All issues from the last post are fixed. Alt and Az movements are buttery smooth, and the UTA held alignment perfectly. Strangely, I was now picking up a new issue. I'm not sure what this is, but it's like the opposite of kidney beaning. There's this one specific direction that I see a light crescent shape when pushing out of the AFOV. I wonder if my secondary is angled too far to one side, revealing some unmagnified b/g sky?? Or just not allowing the full light come to hit the field stop of the eyepiece. I was getting it from 24 to 9mm eyepieces, so not really sure. I'll need to do more troubleshooting.

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

That is odd. It does sound like a secondary mirror issue. You're not using a shroud that is sagging into the light path, are you?

-The Great Paul Krugman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:37 pm 
Velocepedist

Good guess, definitely a secondary issue. I had a little time to play around tonight. Before it got dark I monkeyed around with collimation. One thing I noticed was that when I had the mirrors centered in the collimation cap the laser collimator was off by a fair margin. Then after collimating based on the laser, the mirrors no longer appeared visually centered. I lessened the UTA truss clamps, and was able to twist the UTA until the visual and mechanical axes were close enough. I have to go back to the books to understand collimation nuances so I can pinpoint my exact problem.

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:39 pm 
Velocepedist

Oh, and I was able to verify that the light area I was seeing disappeared once collimated to an approximate mechanical axis. Obviously the light cone was falling out of the secondary's visual path.

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:23 am 
Velocepedist

I woke up and read through some old CN threads on secondary tilt errors. I had a eureka moment when viewing the "circle" of the 45° secondary through the focuser, and I realized the mirror was hanging too low away from the spider. I shortened the distance by nearly a half inch and I'm already MUCH closer to matching the mechanical and optical axes, with very little of the primary now missing from the collimated secondary. I believe I can recover the rest with some slight machining of the spider.

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:25 am 
Velocepedist

Ultimately I believe this comes down to design errors on my behalf. I tried so hard to shrink the UTA that I hadn't considered all of the effects it would have on the secondary setup. I'm glad that I have made this much progress, and believe it will be near perfect once modifications are made.

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:33 pm 
Velocepedist

TIME-LAPSE ASSEMBLY

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:36 am 
Velocepedist

...also, I fixed the secondary axis issue completely. It came down to two issues. First, as I already suspected, the secondary was located too close to the primary, essentially hanging out of the focuser axis. So I backed up as far as I could, but left just enough to rotate and tilt for collimation purposes. Secondly, the spider was not centered. So when I needed to bring the secondary into mechanical true, the oval of the mirror was tilting diagonally to reach the focuser axis. I added and subtracted nylon washers as shims until the secondary was centered in the mechanical axis of the primary, which incidentally is also not perfectly aligned. I've never had this issue on any of my previous builds. But being that the first two were tubes, they lent themselves to easy setup. The first dob must have been blessed with accidental alignment combined with a larger secondary to mask such issues. I've come to understand that mirror sizes at the edge of illumination (meaning small secondaries) require more precision with collimation. At any rate, unless I was to make some major design repairs, I believe I am as good as I can be right now. I'd estimate 90% to perfect, which is better than the 50% I started with.

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

Ha ha! Love the time lapse!

-The Great Paul Krugman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:25 pm 
galaxy

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:21 am 
Velocepedist

Gene, Erik, thank you.

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:37 am 
Velocepedist

Brought her out for my first real observing session since finishing all the details. Spent about an hour hitting only familiar objects. Transparency was very good, seeing was very not good. :mrgreen:

This was a really good test session. We got home around 8pm on Saturday night, the air was dry with a light breeze, and the sky was clear. The sun began to set and immediately I could tell the transparency would be favorable for DSOs. I checked the CSC, which showed white in the seeing line, and ended up a pretty accurate prediction.

So at 9pm, I threw a load of laundry in the washer, in the unfinished basement. Next door, in a finished room, with access to the side yard, is where I keep all the guy toys...camera gear, music gear, and astro gear. As I looked over at the 12" dob all folded up into a box I said, "Why the hell not," tossed the truss poles over my shoulder and walked into the backyard with the scope. It took me all of about 5 minutes to set up in near darkness, that is mostly by touch, not sight. I switched on the primary mirror fan and returned inside to wait for twilight to fade.

When I returned the stars were all over the place, and after a few minutes of dark adapting I could just make out the Milky Way. I collimated the mirrors, took a minute, maybe two. Grabbed some fast views of the planets, which looked fine at 115x, but started to suffer at 167x because of pisspoor seeing and low altitude. From here on I did mostly DSO viewing. M4 was, oh my, so beautiful! Just so many stars! I started at 63x and could make out more stars than I could count. At 115x the image held nicely, and framed perfectly in the field of my 13T6. I hopped to a few smaller globs along the way to my next main target, the Dumbbell. This was going to be more of an opportunity to play with the new DGM NPB filter. And let me say WOW! First without the filter while using my Explore Scientific 24mm 68, M27 was quite discernible, with that almost 3D floating effect that I always get with this particular planetary. Then I added the NPB and it took on a whole different dimension. The stars just dimmed and sunk into the background, while the full "circle" of the dumbbell became easily apparent, showing off slight nuances of shading within the "wings".

My last object(s) was Epsilon Lyrae. Because it was high near zenith it was less effected by seeing. I went straight for the achilles and popped my 3-6 Nagler Zoom in the focuser. At 6mm and 250x I could see each double as a clear pair or tiny dots. At 4mm and 375x the stars just about split, although I think seeing ultimately kept me from a perfect split. It could also be limitation of my mirror surface (to be tested in the future). The one thing I did notice was the star pairs were round points without diffraction spikes. I try not to be overly critical, since it's an old GSO mirror that needs a recoating, and probably a mild refigure.

Overall the session was a solid one. The scope seems to perform adequately. Take down was less than the 5 minutes it took to set up, and by the time I brought the whole kit back into the house (in one easy trip), it was just 11pm, so I managed the entire process...from setting up the scope, to cooling the mirror, to collimation, to viewing and then finally take down...all in 2 hours.

:smile:

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds a great session. Setup and take down time make all the difference in the world. Yours sounds like a breeze. :cool:

-The Great Paul Krugman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:37 am 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Damn bro, great summary of the session! Sounds like it was a very good night. Gotta love that!

Oh, yeah. The Stifmeister's coming back to Grand Harbor. Deck the halls. Bye-bye, Great Falls. Wipe my a$$ and lick my ba!!s It's Stifler time, baby. Whoo-hoo-hoo. Whoo-hoo-hoo. ~Steve Stifler-American Pie 2 :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:20 pm 
Velocepedist

I just came in from an aggravating hour with the scope. I've been fighting with the mechanical strength of the truss blocks since day one. I thought I sorted out the issue of clamping strength, but I clearly didn't. After collimating the scope I would test the image and be very pleased with the sharpness of stars. Then I would slew the scope to another part of the sky and "clunk", the trusses would give way and the scope would settle just slightly, throwing off the collimation and causing stars to bloat by a significant margin. I tried finding the sweet spot several times but over and over the trusses would spring out of tension. The culprit is the clamp strength of the lower blocks in particular. I think the small round knobs are limiting my ability to tighten the blocks with enough strength to do the job. I also think the diameter of the ultra thin trusses reduces the surface area which then limits the clamping area. Maybe I can get different knobs that are easier to tighten. It would certainly be the cheapest option to start with. The next step, if that doesn't work, is to completely redesign the blocks. The skies are so freaking nice out (and I actually had time away from work and school) that I feel like I wasted a once in a month opportunity to view. Oh well, chock it off as R&D time, I guess.

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:53 pm 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Sorry you are having issues bro.

I went back and looked at your photos of the truss assembly on its own and in the scope. The vertical axis looks fixed, i.e. no way for them to slip up or down. Maybe I just can't see it from the pics. Are you talking some lateral shift? Is it on the UTA or the lower blocks?

I have no doubt you'll figure out the right fix for it. Keep plugging. It's a beautiful scope!

Oh, yeah. The Stifmeister's coming back to Grand Harbor. Deck the halls. Bye-bye, Great Falls. Wipe my a$$ and lick my ba!!s It's Stifler time, baby. Whoo-hoo-hoo. Whoo-hoo-hoo. ~Steve Stifler-American Pie 2 :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:58 pm 
molecule

Chopin wrote:
I just came in from an aggravating hour with the scope. I've been fighting with the mechanical strength of the truss blocks since day one. I thought I sorted out the issue of clamping strength, but I clearly didn't. After collimating the scope I would test the image and be very pleased with the sharpness of stars. Then I would slew the scope to another part of the sky and "clunk", the trusses would give way and the scope would settle just slightly, throwing off the collimation and causing stars to bloat by a significant margin. I tried finding the sweet spot several times but over and over the trusses would spring out of tension. The culprit is the clamp strength of the lower blocks in particular. I think the small round knobs are limiting my ability to tighten the blocks with enough strength to do the job. I also think the diameter of the ultra thin trusses reduces the surface area which then limits the clamping area. Maybe I can get different knobs that are easier to tighten. It would certainly be the cheapest option to start with. The next step, if that doesn't work, is to completely redesign the blocks. The skies are so freaking nice out (and I actually had time away from work and school) that I feel like I wasted a once in a month opportunity to view. Oh well, chock it off as R&D time, I guess.

You know Jason, I was thinking the exact same thing about the trusses. Too thin IMO.

If I were you, I'd re-design and go thicker for more rigidity and more strength in holding them with bigger blocks. What do I know? I have a solid tube dob, I am just an idiot, lol.

How come you didn't go with a solid tube? Not like the scope is very big, unless I am dumb and can't see it is a 12"? I dunno what size it is....can't find the info LOL

However, I must commend your incredible work....First rate IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:57 pm 
Velocepedist

Mark, you are correct that larger trusses would solve the clamping issue much easier. But they are certainly rigid enough, and I'm happy with the weight. I'm convinced that I can engineer better blocks to solve the problems. I haven't returned to the project yet, but I just finished rebuilding my deck, so time should start easing up for the summer.

About solid tubes, I do like the rigidity and the light shielding, but I don't care for the weight which produces cantilever issues. I really enjoy the ability to collapse the structure, which makes storage and transportation a breeze. Most of all, I simply like building stuff. :grin:

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:31 pm 
molecule

Chopin wrote:
Dude, you are way too kind! :smile: I do appreciate it, though. Learning to build basic cabinetry has given me the skills to do more than I could with the last scope. I still have long term plans to do a bigger scope, and I want to incorporate much of this design into that build. I have been exhausting all my brain power to decide where between 15" and 18" it will be. I'm starting up school again for the first time in over two decades so it definitely won't be a 20". That's where prices start going north...really fast.

Going to fully agree with you here. Bigger scope = Go truss.

Much better on the back, etc.

Keep us posted on your project !!!! :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:20 pm 
Velocepedist

So after viewing with the 10" the other night, I was inspired to fix the problematic truss pole clamps that I had originally constructed out of aluminum. I thought the idea was clever, but unfortunately they didn't grasp the poles well enough to prevent flexure, which of course meant I was constantly loosing collimation. Those were technically the MkII model. If you recall, I attempted to initially build true blocks out of solid birch, but they snapped during the shaping process.

Here is the MkIII project, started today.

Attachments:
20171017-IMG_1435.jpg
20171017-IMG_1435.jpg [ 164.35 KiB | Viewed 22164 times ]
20171017-IMG_1436.jpg
20171017-IMG_1436.jpg [ 156.42 KiB | Viewed 22164 times ]
20171017-IMG_1437.jpg
20171017-IMG_1437.jpg [ 132.44 KiB | Viewed 22164 times ]
20171017-IMG_1438.jpg
20171017-IMG_1438.jpg [ 199.23 KiB | Viewed 22164 times ]

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:24 pm 
Velocepedist

I am constructing blocks for the lower portion of the tubes, which will be made from baltic birch. Far stronger than solid wood, and matches the rest of the scope, so a natural choice - easy for me to say, since it took three iterations to get here. :lol:

Attachments:
20171017-IMG_1439.jpg
20171017-IMG_1439.jpg [ 186.25 KiB | Viewed 22164 times ]
20171017-IMG_1440.jpg
20171017-IMG_1440.jpg [ 160.78 KiB | Viewed 22164 times ]
20171017-IMG_1442.jpg
20171017-IMG_1442.jpg [ 157.98 KiB | Viewed 22164 times ]
20171017-IMG_1443.jpg
20171017-IMG_1443.jpg [ 141.05 KiB | Viewed 22164 times ]
20171017-IMG_1444.jpg
20171017-IMG_1444.jpg [ 146.21 KiB | Viewed 22164 times ]
20171017-IMG_1445.jpg
20171017-IMG_1445.jpg [ 194.55 KiB | Viewed 22164 times ]
20171017-IMG_1447.jpg
20171017-IMG_1447.jpg [ 163.18 KiB | Viewed 22164 times ]

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:01 am 
Velocepedist

For the top connections I made simple L-brackets out of extruded aluminum square tube.

Attachments:
20171018-IMG_1448.jpg
20171018-IMG_1448.jpg [ 168.08 KiB | Viewed 22160 times ]
20171018-IMG_1449.jpg
20171018-IMG_1449.jpg [ 148.56 KiB | Viewed 22160 times ]
20171018-IMG_1452.jpg
20171018-IMG_1452.jpg [ 168.42 KiB | Viewed 22160 times ]
20171018-IMG_1457.jpg
20171018-IMG_1457.jpg [ 133.44 KiB | Viewed 22160 times ]
20171018-IMG_1460.jpg
20171018-IMG_1460.jpg [ 143.8 KiB | Viewed 22160 times ]
20171018-IMG_1461.jpg
20171018-IMG_1461.jpg [ 136.53 KiB | Viewed 22160 times ]
20171018-IMG_1462.jpg
20171018-IMG_1462.jpg [ 182.16 KiB | Viewed 22160 times ]

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:06 am 
Velocepedist

For the top portion of the tubes, I hammered out the ends so they would stack together in a more compact fashion when doubled up. I thought about repeating the blocks, as I did for the lower, but decided a common point would turn the truss design from a tight quadrilateral into a true triangle, further increasing rigidity of the OTA.

Attachments:
20171018-IMG_1465.jpg
20171018-IMG_1465.jpg [ 192.06 KiB | Viewed 22160 times ]
20171018-IMG_1467.jpg
20171018-IMG_1467.jpg [ 195.59 KiB | Viewed 22160 times ]
20171018-IMG_1468.jpg
20171018-IMG_1468.jpg [ 182.98 KiB | Viewed 22160 times ]

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:10 am 
Velocepedist

I can say that this scope has never been this rigid! Holy tree trunks, Batman!

Can't wait to try it out, maybe tonight. The forecast looks great.

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:03 am 
Site Admin

Nice! That should do it- looking forward to hearing about first light.

-The Great Paul Krugman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next