NEOWISE did not disappoint!

Moderators: Erik, Chopin
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
Chopin
Post subject: NEOWISE did not disappoint!
Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:14 pm
Velocepedist

Location: In search of the ultimate switchbacks and single tracks

What a great night! I have to give credit to my older daughter for bringing this comet to my attention a couple weeks ago. When I researched the track it seemed this weekend would be ideal for us to catch it, post perihelion. As an evening comet the timing is more conducive to everyone’s schedules. Tonight appeared to be the most likely night in the forecast for weather cooperation, so I talked it up all week as the night I was planning to view it, and nothing else. LOL! What started as a simple plan became an all out party with my wife, both kids, and a bunch of their friends. It was a full on star party with NEOWISE as first billing. We started the night with s’mores over the fire and occasional glimpses through 8x40, 15x85 and 10” RFT with low power binoviewer as the evening slowly darkened. By the time dusk was mostly past at 10pm, the views were stunning, with the tail easily visible from edge to edge in the 8x40, roughly 8° TFOV. The 15x85 was the showcase instrument, not surprising given that I bought it for comet viewing years ago. It never disappoints, and some faint dust lane details were noted in the tail. The 10” did a fine job of revealing even more detail near the core. Thank you Mother Nature for cooperating.

Attachments
[ attachment ]
F547C2FB-FA85-487F-9C76-0AC2CB6C47EC.jpeg (79.74 KiB) Viewed 923 times

Jason® (Admin...and spoke-folk)
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
Veritable Imagery
Single ride personal records: Distance-76.7miles, Max Speed-50.4mph, Max sustained speed (20miles) 19.5mph
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Profile Quote
Erik
Post subject: Re: NEOWISE did not disappoint!
Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:02 pm
Site Admin

Very nice, Jason!!! A lot better than what we got here in Hawaii. Our low northern latitude made it a bit more difficult to see and of course the moon is getting brighter now but we got some good views the other night. :-)

-Erik Wilcox
Homebuilt 16" Truss Dob
8" Antares f/5 Newt
SV 80mm ED Nighthawk NG on M1 ALT/AZ
Nikon Prostaff 65mm spotter on Trekpod
Konusvue 20x80 binos/Peterson PipeMount

"Newt Gingrich is what stupid people think smart people sound like."
-The Great Paul Krugman

Evolution is both fact and theory. Creationism is neither. -Anonymous

Profile Quote
Chopin
Post subject: Re: NEOWISE did not disappoint!
Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:14 pm
Velocepedist

Location: In search of the ultimate switchbacks and single tracks

Thanks, Erik!

Jason® (Admin...and spoke-folk)
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
Veritable Imagery
Single ride personal records: Distance-76.7miles, Max Speed-50.4mph, Max sustained speed (20miles) 19.5mph
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
Return to “Observing”
Jump to: