It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:42 pm 
Velocepedist

Location: In search of the ultimate switchbacks and single tracks
I'm definitely not a fan of the NAS singles. The age is what defines the product, IMO. When someone displays the age of their product they are demonstrating a faith in its particular quality. Age also helps the consumer understand the variations and nuances better from batch to batch.

To answer your former post, thumbs down to increased prices. Boo.

Veritable Imagery
Single ride personal records: Distance-76.7miles, Max Speed-50.4mph, Max sustained speed (20miles) 19.5mph
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:37 pm 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Agreed. I think the age statement is key. Hopefully this ridiculous NAS practice will be short-lived.

The price increases do indeed, suck.

Oh, yeah. The Stifmeister's coming back to Grand Harbor. Deck the halls. Bye-bye, Great Falls. Wipe my a$$ and lick my ba!!s It's Stifler time, baby. Whoo-hoo-hoo. Whoo-hoo-hoo. ~Steve Stifler-American Pie 2 :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:10 pm 
Velocepedist

Just sitting here enjoying my first dram of Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask. I know it seems sacrilegious to some to finish off a true single malt Scotch in rum barrels. But I gotta say, it's pretty damn good. Very smooth, and certainly a touch sweeter than other whiskeys in my collection. Like a scotch, with a molasses backbone. Definitely a dessert drink. I'll follow up in the future after some repeated tastings.

Veritable Imagery
Single ride personal records: Distance-76.7miles, Max Speed-50.4mph, Max sustained speed (20miles) 19.5mph
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:15 pm 
Velocepedist

I think it's a single...???

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:17 am 
Site Admin

Maybe that's why I've never gotten into whiskey much- I've been drinking the wrong whiskey! The molasses overtones sound yummy.

SV 80mm ED Nighthawk NG on M1 ALT/AZ
Nikon Prostaff 65mm spotter on Trekpod
Konusvue 20x80 binos/Peterson PipeMount

"Newt Gingrich is what stupid people think smart people sound like."
-The Great Paul Krugman

Evolution is both fact and theory. Creationism is neither. -Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:39 am 
Velocepedist

Well, this is definitely a high quality finish. What whiskeys have you had?

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:45 am 
Site Admin

Just the generic mass market stuff. Had a couple of bad experiences with whiskey growing up and never got a taste for it. :lol:

Sounds like I need to give a premium whiskey a try.

-The Great Paul Krugman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:42 am 
Velocepedist

Haha! Kinda figured it was along those lines based on your last post. I don't have anywhere near the advanced whiskey palate that Kerry does, so maybe he'll chime in. I can say this bottle is very good after a couple of pours. It's smooth and drinkable. But at $70 it is a bit of a commitment. Johnnie Walker Black is about half that price and gives a great foray into the world of whiskey. The cool thing is it's a Scotch, but it's a blended variety. So it doesn't hit you too hard from any angle and reveals most of the classic tones easily.

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:02 pm 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Hey guys, just saw this. Yes the Balvenie 14 is a single malt. I've had the 12 yr Doublewood many times, which is quite good. It's finished in the typical Oloroso Sherry Casks, so a lot of honey, vanilla and warm spices.

I have really been wanting to try the 14 Caribbean and the 17 Doublewood. Sounds like the 14 Caribbean is very nice, and makes sense it's a bit sweeter finish. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts once you've had a few samples! :mrgreen:

You've got a great palate Jason, so not sure if mine is any better than yours, but thanks for the compliment. Everyone is different anyway so there are no wrong answers!

Oh, yeah. The Stifmeister's coming back to Grand Harbor. Deck the halls. Bye-bye, Great Falls. Wipe my a$$ and lick my ba!!s It's Stifler time, baby. Whoo-hoo-hoo. Whoo-hoo-hoo. ~Steve Stifler-American Pie 2 :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:08 pm 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Erik wrote:
Just the generic mass market stuff. Had a couple of bad experiences with whiskey growing up and never got a taste for it. :lol:

Sounds like I need to give a premium whiskey a try.

Yeah, the generic mass market stuff can be brutally harsh and nasty tasting. Jason gave an excellent suggestion about starting with Johnnie Black (stay away from the Red). Reasonable price and good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks- sounds like a plan. I'll see if our local market carries it.

-The Great Paul Krugman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:01 pm 
Velocepedist

Having some Templeton Rye at the moment...picking up monster whiffs of Betty Crocker Vanilla Frosting.

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:22 am 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Good description! Lots of vanilla in there. From time to time I'll pick up toasted marshmallow too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:58 am 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Tried a new bourbon called Bib & Tucker, which is an old-school saying for dressing up in your finest threads. It comes in a wicked-cool old style bottle, which unfortunately is the best part. The price point was $55. I bought it at Total Wine, which gave it a decent review. The main reason I bought it is that it supposedly had a unique flavor in there - Chestnut. I love roasted chestnuts so I thought I'd give it a try.

It claims to be a 6 year-old bourbon. Again bourbon doesn't usually age as long as Scotch because it's in new oak instead of reclaimed barrels. This one tasted very young - more like 6 months than 6 years. Very bitey. Lots of anise, a bit of ginger. Yes chestnut is in there but the anise overwhelms it. Another one where the flavors seem to compete rather than marry, which to me is an indication it needed more aging. I still can't see how this is a 6 year old.

I was pretty disappointed with it. Had I paid $20 for it maybe not so much, but although it's not "bad", it sure as hell isn't worth anywhere near $55. It's been cold here so I've ended up using it to make hot toddies with apple cider and that turns out pretty good.

By comparison, Willett makes a 2 year old rye that is much more like a 6 - 8 year-old whiskey. I'm not sure how they do that, but it's $5 less per bottle and seems much more mature than the B & T.

Oh well, sometimes we have to take a chance on something new and hope for the best. It doesn't always work out, but at least I've got a killer bottle to put to use for something else! :food-smiley-004:

Attachments:
BiBTuck.JPG
BiBTuck.JPG [ 167.59 KiB | Viewed 29453 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:39 am 
Velocepedist

The glass is a beaut, for sure. Too bad about the taste. What is this Willet you speak of? 2 year that tastes like its 8?!? Rye?!? Looks like I need to invest.

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, beautiful glass but too bad about the taste.

I had a similar experience with a $30 Malbec from Argentina (I generally LOVE Malbecs from Argentina!) that had a beautiful bottle and label and tasted like a $5 bottle of wine. Hate when that happens!

-The Great Paul Krugman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:11 pm 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Chopin wrote:
The glass is a beaut, for sure. Too bad about the taste. What is this Willet you speak of? 2 year that tastes like its 8?!? Rye?!? Looks like I need to invest.

It's a 2 year old rye, which may be why it works since its spicier than bourbon. It seems much older to me.

http://www.hitimewine.net/WILLETT-5YR-RYE-55-ABV-750ML.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:14 pm 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Erik wrote:
I had a similar experience with a $30 Malbec from Argentina (I generally LOVE Malbecs from Argentina!) that had a beautiful bottle and label and tasted like a $5 bottle of wine. Hate when that happens!

And I HATE that!

I like their Malbecs too. Seem to do a nice job with them......most of the time!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:08 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, Malbec is the kind of wine that's either spectacular or awful. No in-between.

-The Great Paul Krugman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:46 pm 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Got my Hi-Times order today, so a bunch of new whiskeys to try. I've been fed up with the prices rising faster than the temps in an Arizona summer, so deliberately tried some new ones that received good reviews but are very reasonably priced. I also included a couple blends in there as well.

New lineup is:

Grand Old Parr 12 yr. This one is a blended Scotch. $32

Blanton's Single Barrel Bourbon. $55

Ballentine's 12 yr. - another blend. $32

Bunnahabhain 12 yr. - Unpeated Islay Single Malt. I had this one a couple years ago and liked it quite a bit. The only one of all of these I've tried previously. Not the typical Islay, but more like a nice Speyside with malt, fruit and toffee. Just a whiff of smoke. Wanted to revisit it. $53

Glenfarclas 12 yr. single malt. $50

Now some of these prices might still seem high, but keep in mind that a lot of what I drink used to be these prices and are now $25-$40 a bottle higher in just the last 2 or 3 years. Sadly, I've been looking for alternatives because to me my old favorites have entered the diminishing returns realm. We will see what these bring to the table!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:46 pm 
Velocepedist

Looking forward to the reviews!

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:33 am 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Well, I just jumped on those reviews didn't I? 2016 has been the year from hell in the form of Murphy's Year.

I never even took tasting notes on those I listed above but I can make a couple comments as to yea or nay.

Grand Old Parr - a decent blended whiskey with a cool bottle, and for $32 I'd buy it again. Sort of oaky & malty, maybe some cereal and a little fruit. It won't be in my regular rotation but worth a try at that price. Don't pay more for it though if you can't find it for around $30 or less.

Blanton's Single Barrel bourbon - I remember a lot of caramel, and of course vanilla from the oak. Fruit background comes out with ice or a splash of H2O. I like it and would definitely buy again. The bottle is very nice and the cork stopper with the brass horse on top is a keeper. A lot of heft to the stopper! Anyway, worth the price of admission at $55.

Ballantine's 12 year - not a bad dram, not great. "Meh" on the Chopin scale. I tried it based on descriptions but wasn't wowed enough to warrant a future purchase.

Bunnahabhain 12 yr. - Still a good whiskey, although I wasn't quite as impressed with the second go-around as I was the first time. Not quite what I remembered, but each release is slightly different. I'll probably buy it again, but not a regular rotator.

Glen Farclas 12 - Again, not too bad. "Meh" on the Chopin scale, but better than Ballantines. I'd buy it again if I could find a deal on it at Costco or Total Wine, but not at the current $50 price tag. Right now I've got a bottle of the 17 year open which I like much better.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:37 am 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

So current open bottles waiting for possible, and I emphasize possible, review:

Glenfarclas 17 - Purchased

Highland Park Dark Origins - Purchased

MacAllan Rare Cask - Gift

Eagle Rare Bourbon - Purchased

Wild Turkey 17 year Master's Keep - Purchased at Costco for what turned out to be nearly half-price. They had 3 of them and I'm kicking myself daily for not buying up the other two bottles. You can get an idea from that statement that Master's Keep is a keeper!

Hope to have some focused comments soon.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:46 pm 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

OK, here are a couple.

Highland Park Dark Origins 46% ABV

Nose: Alcohol, pepper, toffee, cherry, mint, and whiff of leather here & there, baking spice.

Palate: Toffee, sherry, cakey, dark chocolate-cherry, touch of mint, and light smoke. Still a lot of alcohol burn.

It should be noted that in the mouth this dram stings. It seems young to me. Whether alcohol or just a peppery spice is hard to tell because there is zero burn down the gullet. However the finish is long and continues to burn for minutes. The finish also becomes more bitter and sulphery.

It's a nice scotch, but for me personally I don't find it worth the $80. I think it needs more age. Maybe if it were $50 I would buy another but not at the current price.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:47 pm 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Glenfarclas 17 43% ABV

Nose: Huge pear, caramel, orange peel

Palate: pear, big sherry sweetness, cake, fruit, orange peel, honey, nutty.

This is a very nice Highland expression. Well balanced. A slight warming down the gullet but not burning. I wish it weren't $89, but not bad on today's market for a 17. I will buy this again!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:22 pm 
Velocepedist

Kawx4d wrote:
Glenfarclas 17 43% ABV

Nose: Huge pear, caramel, orange peel

Palate: pear, big sherry sweetness, cake, fruit, orange peel, honey, nutty.

This is a very nice Highland expression. Well balanced. A slight warming down the gullet but not burning. I wish it weren't $89, but not bad on today's market for a 17. I will buy this again!

Sounds fantastic! Makes me want to jump into the whiskey box.

Veritable Imagery

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:55 am 
Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Winter is a good time to do that!! It'll warm the cockles of your cockle! :mrgreen:

Sorry the reviews are quick and dirty, but have not had tons of time to do multiple tastings and write a bunch of notes, opinions, etc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5